Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been following along about the 3.6 ticking issues. My 12' Jeep has 2300mi on it and I can hear the tick on the drivers side...slightly. Im still getting 19-20 mpg in mixed driving. Power has not fallen off. Ive checked the oil and have not used any. I have also not changed the oil yet. Is anyone experiencing any drivability issues related to this problem?

Geoff

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
None for me. I have 7300, and had the ticking for awhile now. It is complety the same except for the sound, the only time to worry is if you get a computer sign. I brought mine in, they said its noisy but nothing is wrong ( B.S cough cough). They did replace the lifters on the driver side and it is noticebly quiter, but not fully gone. I beilive it is the head issue and should be fixed when the sign comes on for a misfire, but nothing to worry about for now.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
I have an early build 2012 with 9800 miles, so I have been watching this, and commenting from time to time. My advice would be to drive & enjoy your Wrangler. If you get a MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) take it to your dealer. I have not heard of anyone being left on the side of the road because of this. No doubt, others will comment.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
None for me. I have 7300, and had the ticking for awhile now. It is complety the same except for the sound, the only time to worry is if you get a computer sign. I brought mine in, they said its noisy but nothing is wrong ( B.S cough cough). They did replace the lifters on the driver side and it is noticebly quiter, but not fully gone. I beilive it is the head issue and should be fixed when the sign comes on for a misfire, but nothing to worry about for now.
Is your avatar from a trip to the Mounds? Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can someone put the original link on here to the pentastar thread because i am starting to hear it in my jeep now.....

·
Registered
558 Posts
I got the CEL at 12K, just before I was scheduled to go on a road-trip vacation. Service rep said "go ahead". I did; 3300 miles with CEL on, and no problems. Head replaced and all is well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So Ive been following along about the 3.6 ticking issues. My 12' Jeep has 2300mi on it and I can hear the tick on the drivers side...slightly. Im still getting 19-20 mpg in mixed driving. Power has not fallen off. Ive checked the oil and have not used any. I have also not changed the oil yet. Is anyone experiencing any drivability issues related to this problem?
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for about a year besides that tick. Then I slowly developed bad MPG and the tick got louder. Then head replacement at dealer. I never got a check engine light, just the horrible MPG. I'm talking 8-10 MPG at the best when ticking got worse. Glad it's fixed now. They had to replace driver's side head for me along with some other parts. I posted a pic of my service sheet if you're interested on that long ticking thread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So that thread is super long...from what I was reading I will take it to the dealer and probably get told I'm full of crap?? What's the down and dirty diagnosis on this. I have......the tick.....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
So that thread is super long...from what I was reading I will take it to the dealer and probably get told I'm full of crap?? What's the down and dirty diagnosis on this. I have......the tick.....
Some dealers are like that, but don't let that bother you. If it's ticking then the dealer needs to confirm the problem by doing a leakdown test, or pull the valve cover and check for loose lifters. If it sounds different from one side of the engine to the other, they can't use the "it's normal" or "it's injectors" excuses. So call them out on it.

You do not need a CEL to get a new head, but they do need to go through the loops, which sometimes involves a re-flash.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just have them open a star case and have a field tech come out if they say it's "normal" even though you have a tick. No service department will want to deal with corporate so they'll look into it deeper. Also, don't let the service manager give you head restriction BS talk or any lines that they can't do anything without a check engine light. They can and should replace the head if there is ticking. All they need to do is call star and get approval.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My biggest hang up is that the dealer is 50 miles away. There are closer dealers but the one I bought from is a good poke from my place. I'm a pretty easy driver so abuse won't be a problem. I'll probably just take my chances until I get a service light or some other drivability symptom. My Jeep is a garage queen also during the week so mileage isn't an issue. We will see.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks guys! Im new to the car fixing buisness and i dont want to go in with no knowledge on the topic because then thell take advantage of me...this should all be under warranty still so i shouldnt have to pay for it correct?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If it were me, I'd start making noise at the dealership now.

It will eventually lead to codes and power loss, so you might as well get something in the system at this point . . . you may even get it preemptively resolved and not have to wait for it to start throwing codes. Or maybe you'll at least get to get past some of the lame fixes some dealers make you do--computer reflashes and what not--so that once it turns into a "real problem" you can get it fixed more quickly.

Make no mistake, it is a problem.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I have an early build 12 with 25k miles. Whether it ticks or not I am not really sure, but no CEL yet. I just hope if it's going to blow it does it within 5/100.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Thanks guys! Im new to the car fixing buisness and i dont want to go in with no knowledge on the topic because then thell take advantage of me...this should all be under warranty still so i shouldnt have to pay for it correct?
Yes it is covered under warranty, based on comments from those who have had the heads changed already.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I checked my oil today to see if maybe that was the clicking and it was almost all gone!!! Has anyone had this problem?? The engine eating oil???

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
So I checked my oil today to see if maybe that was the clicking and it was almost all gone!!! Has anyone had this problem?? The engine eating oil???
That's not right at all. I've heard of a few people that had blue smoke on startup, though. Get this confirmed and fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm hearing the "ticking" @ 12K. It's the exact same noise that 2 of my CBR (honda) motorcycles' made although their redline was about 16k. Ethanol maybe? inline 4 vs v6? My V-twin HD does not make that noise. Weird.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts