Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of jeep resolving the pentastar head issue?? Last i heard 2013 and newer should be resolved... HOWEVER my buddy with a 2014 just informed me that his is ticking like a clock! Anyone know any updates on when/if chrysler repaired this issue????

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
mine seems to do it for a few seconds when first starting under extreme cold -20 to -40C. Also depends on the oil used as well. Changed the oil myself using 6 quarts of quakerstate 5W20 and have not noticed any ticking.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I could have sworn with the AC head the problem was gone. I sure do hope so. I think some people confuse the ticking of the fuel injectors with the ticking head problem.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mine ticks pretty bad for about the first 3 seconds on start up and then quits. I just assumed it was valve chatter and once the oil started circulating it stopped.

·
Registered
238 Posts
okstatejk said:
Mine ticks pretty bad for about the first 3 seconds on start up and then quits. I just assumed it was valve chatter and once the oil started circulating it stopped.
mine also

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
58,111 Posts
Has anyone heard of jeep resolving the pentastar head issue?? Last i heard 2013 and newer should be resolved... HOWEVER my buddy with a 2014 just informed me that his is ticking like a clock! Anyone know any updates on when/if chrysler repaired this issue????
^^^When mine was new, with the original conventional 5W-20 oil. I would get a minimal amount of ticking for a couple of seconds at cold start up.
I changed over to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, and that eliminated the ticking at start up. I have never heard it, since going with that oil and viscosity!!!!!
Some others on the Forum, have reported the same, with different oil!

OP, now if buddy has noticeable ticking ongoing, even after cold start up, then he should get it checked out by his Dealer.

As for the cylinder heads, the originals where AA heads, then AB, and finally AC which my 2013 has on it.
To the best of my knowledge, the AC heads have resolved that issue.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My '14 does this as well. I've read it is totally normal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive looked up some videos on youtube, And some people have it very noticeable while others have what seems normal... So idk what a normal vs bad ticking is! So i went ear to ear with my 2015 today. And i can say yes there is a tick.. on both ends.. slightly louder on driver side... But nothing thats noticable unless your really listening closley..So what gives?! Would someone please describe a bad tick vs a good tick to me... and do pentastars tick normally... or should they be whisper quiet ???

·
Registered
222 Posts
ps i just spoke to a guy at the gym 2015 6000KMS on it....new heads needed...WTF is chysler doing!?!?!?
cmon.... Dont tell me that.. Lol.. I was thinking of purchasing this upcoming month.. I completely took years "12" and "13" off my list for this reason.. Lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ive looked up some videos on youtube, And some people have it very noticeable while others have what seems normal... So idk what a normal vs bad ticking is! So i went ear to ear with my 2015 today. And i can say yes there is a tick.. on both ends.. slightly louder on driver side... But nothing thats noticable unless your really listening closley..So what gives?! Would someone please describe a bad tick vs a good tick to me... and do pentastars tick normally... or should they be whisper quiet ???
There is no such thing as a good tick. These things get worse with time in my opinion.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Didn't I read here somewhere that a few guys with 2014's had noticed they had AA and AB heads on their Jeep and people were speculating that Chrysler at some point decided to use up their older head designs on the new Jeeps?

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
Didn't I read here somewhere that a few guys with 2014's had noticed they had AA and AB heads on their Jeep and people were speculating that Chrysler at some point decided to use up their older head designs on the new Jeeps?

If that's true that would suck.

I think some people might also be confusing injector tick with the valves ticking. Also keep in mind the oil filter is at the top of the engine. Redesigned oil filter or not, if the engine sits for a long period of time the filter will drain down because it is mounted high up on the engine, and the oil will drain out. So there will be some ticking depending on how long the engine sat, and how much oil drained down.

Interesting that moving up a grade to 5W30 helps quiet them down. When the engine first came out they spec'd 5W30, and then in 2013 changed over to 5W20.........

·
Registered
242 Posts
If that's true that would suck.

I think some people might also be confusing injector tick with the valves ticking. Also keep in mind the oil filter is at the top of the engine. Redesigned oil filter or not, if the engine sits for a long period of time the filter will drain down because it is mounted high up on the engine, and the oil will drain out. So there will be some ticking depending on how long the engine sat, and how much oil drained down.

Interesting that moving up a grade to 5W30 helps quiet them down. When the engine first came out they spec'd 5W30, and then in 2013 changed over to 5W20.........
Does the filter or housing not have an anti drainback valve? I would think it does.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My 2015 ticked for a couple mins this morning (55* weather) and then went away im pretty sure. Is that normal? Great... thanks guys, now im all worried about my 15 having both AA and AB heads! lol

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
58,111 Posts
^^^Yep, there was a Post in one of the cylinder head Threads. If I remember it correctly, some of the older AA casting were being used on some of the late model 3.6 engines. I don't believe that it was on a Wrangler, but rather a different model Jeep!

·
Registered
920 Posts
There was a pic of a newly installed head on a jeep in another thread on this forum. It definitely was a early casting. We never really did find out what Chrysler did (specifically) to redesign the head. I guess it's possible they updated the early castings to repair the design flaw.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts