Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced the stock Pentastar muffler with an aftermarket whoompa-whoompa-gurgle-burgle muffer? How do you like it?

The forum's full of info on cat-back systems from Borla, Banks, AFE, Magnaflow, Cherry Bomb, Flowmaster, etc. But I'd like to look into getting a little better sound out of a straight muffler replacement without replacing the piping.

The stock horsepower is fine with me, I'm just looking for an economical way to get a better sound out of her without the bark or the drone. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I'm holding out for Whistle Tips. They go, "Woo-woo". :thumb:

·
Registered
438 Posts
The only way to get the whoompa whooma sound is by putting in a V-8. Otherwise it usually is at or pretty close to any ricer-type engine sound. V-6's don't give a good sound.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's true. It's not a big block rat motor for sure, it's only a 220-cubic inch V-6. I should have said I'm trying to get a little sportier note out of it, and I don't expect a real V8 sound.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I put a straight-through, stainless steel, magnaflow on mine. It has a good sound for what it is. I tried a flowmaster 60 series but it had a terrible drone and sounded terrible.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Well...

Maybe it's my age (65), but I find I like the quietness of the 2012.:thumb:

But you know, it's your Jeep and your $$

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Flowmaster 40 cat-back--

SAWEEEET !

No ricer sound after breakin -

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like the sound of my 3.8. Not too loud, not too soft, I'm with "Willee51", and after spending $5,250.00 on hearing aids last month :facepalm: :rofl:the last freeking thing I want is more "NOISE" in my world :rofl::wavey:.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Has anybody replaced the stock Pentastar muffler with an aftermarket whoompa-whoompa-gurgle-burgle muffer?....The stock horsepower is fine with me, I'm just looking for an economical way to get a better sound out of her without the bark or the drone. Thanks!
Must be a JK term.......YJ's we use throaty, rumble, ........:rofl:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Must be a JK term.......YJ's we use throaty, rumble, ........:rofl:

Hmmm.. "a YJ throaty rumble." Is that kind of like Carol Channing belching?:rofl:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm trying to get to a little sportier sound without being obnoxious, inside or out.

Might take a little experimenting, but I bought a 6-speed to have some fun, and that sound's part of it.

Did you ever use clothespins to stick playing cards in your bicycle spokes? Kind of like that...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would like it if it had the growl of the Infinity FX45, this is actually a bigger engine, I wonder what muffler could make that sound.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like it if it had the growl of the Infinity FX45, this is actually a bigger engine, I wonder what muffler could make that sound.
I had an FX35, which was a great car and the sound really grew on me. Havent heard the bigger FX45, but if I could get to the FX35 (3.5 liter) sound with the Pentastar, that'd be cool.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I had an FX35, which was a great car and the sound really grew on me. Havent heard the bigger FX45, but if I could get to the FX35 (3.5 liter) sound with the Pentastar, that'd be cool.
I'll do some research, problem is only way to find out is to get it on there. I think the infinity is an awesome refined growl. Let me know what you find or try as well!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll do some research, problem is only way to find out is to get it on there. I think the infinity is an awesome refined growl. Let me know what you find or try as well!
Okay, deal. I'm going to focus on aftermarket mufflers, because I figure I can go through 2-3 of those and still wind up paying less than one cat-back system from Magnaflow and others. And I'll keep the stock muffler in case it has to go back on. I probably won't get started in eanest until late January.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: You can never duplicate the v8 sounds and the only way to get close is with longer secondary exhaust pipes and mine are both over 6' long-

That gives the "DUAL" exhaust sound and my FL 40 does the great job of rumbling/rap and no drone-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Yep!

I like the sound of my 3.8. Not too loud, not too soft, I'm with "Willee51", and after spending $5,250.00 on hearing aids last month :facepalm: :rofl:the last freeking thing I want is more "NOISE" in my world :rofl::wavey:.
--------------

Hearing aids! My wife says that I am not far from needing them! Seems I have a difficult time hearing most of what she says :rofl::rofl:

keepyerpowderdry

·
First Jeep: M38A1
368 Posts
I'm not sure everybody here is talking about the Pentastar as installed in 2012 Wranglers. The passenger side exhaust pipe crosses under to run alongside the driver side exhaust pipe which has a loop in it so the two pipes arrive at a collector as equal length. This is a big part of the wide power range of this engine. Trying to engineer a better cat-back system is going to be tricky and expensive, so I don't think we'll see much from the aftermarket in this part of the exhaust system.

All kinds of possibilities once we reach that collector though. The single intermediate pipe from the collector to the muffler is a short piece in the JK. The difference from JK to JKU is probably just a longer intermediate pipe. The stock muffler is welded in place, and then a tailpipe to the big resonator at the back with a short tip on the end.

The possibilities are endless, and relatively inexpensive, in this latter part of the exhaust system. Building a hillclimber and don't mind the noise - straight pipe might be your answer. Want to sneak quietly thru the forest and observe wildlife without setting dry underbrush on fire - hard to beat the stock system. Plenty of room between these two - just depends on your goals and concerns.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts