Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... another 10 hours of clicking around the site... and I'm paranoid to go out and drive a 2012 (financial paranoia). So... the question is, how significant is the power in this engine? I know that may be a subjective question, however, I'm in a manual 3.8 now, and thinking I "need" the Rubi axles, the automatic (wife input), and the extra nads from the engine. Your experiences? Thank you

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It's very noticeable. I have an '08, '10, and '12 JKUs. The '12 has decent power, better tranny and more refined. The '10 doesn't like 3 adults and gear vacationing in the Rockies - noisy and wants to downshift. Other than being loaded down, the older motor and tranny seem reliable. This summer I will probably buy yet another one, it'll be a '12. As for the Rubi axles and lockers, only if you want to do a lot of offroading, otherwise the D35 and no locker work fine. Experience, tires and tow straps will get you through most situations.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
It's very noticeable. I have an '08, '10, and '12 JKUs. The '12 has decent power, better tranny and more refined. The '10 doesn't like 3 adults and gear vacationing in the Rockies - noisy and wants to downshift. Other than being loaded down, the older motor and tranny seem reliable. This summer I will probably buy yet another one, it'll be a '12. As for the Rubi axles and lockers, only if you want to do a lot of offroading, otherwise the D35 and no locker work fine. Experience, tires and tow straps will get you through most situations.
I believe front axle on the 2012 Non-Rubicon JK is a Dana 30.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very noticeable... huuumm, I'm getting NJF (new Jeep fever). Was reading the gas mileage post to see if there were any performance increases noted there.. Saw a couple. I;ll be getting the 2WD, mostly driven by me, with wife in summer if I can pry her out of the SLK.

I guess the only way to find out is to go drive one.... I already know what will happen. Better go butter up the wife!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dont test drive one if you Dont want to buy one:whistling:

my 12 auto 4.10's with 35" tires out ran an old bronco with a built 302

after kicking his butt on the terrain, he said see ya back at the house once we hit the paved road, my Rubi left him behind:eek:

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Very noticeable... huuumm, I'm getting NJF (new Jeep fever). Was reading the gas mileage post to see if there were any performance increases noted there.. Saw a couple. I;ll be getting the 2WD, mostly driven by me, with wife in summer if I can pry her out of the SLK.

I guess the only way to find out is to go drive one.... I already know what will happen. Better go butter up the wife!
2WD was discontinued after 09.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2WD was discontinued after 09.
Ooops, I meant 2DR... What was I thinking... Anyway, on the Jeep site, clicking on options. I got the wife to participate, kind of getting her "buy in", it worked. So now it has to be with leather seats... I'm not in agreement on this point, all other options are mutually agreed... which means, we are off to the dealer in a few minutes. I was just out vacuuming the interior, a quick wash and off we go...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Ooops, I meant 2DR... What was I thinking... Anyway, on the Jeep site, clicking on options. I got the wife to participate, kind of getting her "buy in", it worked. So now it has to be with leather seats... I'm not in agreement on this point, all other options are mutually agreed... which means, we are off to the dealer in a few minutes. I was just out vacuuming the interior, a quick wash and off we go...
:dance:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I started shopping in this past November for a Wrangler. My intentions were to find a used one and I wanted a 6 speed manual, so I went to the local Jeep dealer and made the fatal mistake of test driving a 2012 Wrangler Sahara first. After that I drove a used 2011 they had. It was a dog compared to the new one.

I was hooked. Bought the 2012.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Dont test drive one if you Dont want to buy one:whistling:
This ^^ I was not even sure if i wanted to get a new vehicle but I was poking around at a Nissan and then I test drove the JKU. Nothing else compared when I went and looked at some other brands too. Now I have one on order, and have decided obviously to trade my vehicle in (2008 350Z base coupe) for it.

p.s. I think I was hooked after driving a 2011, the 2012 with the new engine just sealed the deal completely.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I traded my 2010 Sahara (my 4th Jeep) for a 2012 Arctic (now my 5th! - all stick shifts). Primarily for the extra horses. The Pentastar kicks butt. I am not sorry, even though financially one could argue against it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove the 2011 at the end of 2010 and was not impressed, learned that the new motor was to be released in the 2012 jeeps, test drove it and am now waiting for delivery. Get the 2012.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is my first post. I made the mistake of getting 2011 Unlimited after 6 months traded it in on 12 Unlimited. The new motor and trans make a huge difference. Look foward to having fun on this site

·
BBQTIME
174 Posts
I never drove a <=2011 but I traded a 600HP sedan for the 2012 Unlimited and I have no problem with the power of the 5star. It is completely adequate for my driving which includes 90+MPH stints on I-95 driving to work.
I'm not saying it's anything near my old car, but it is fine. I don't wish for more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like RBURROWS, this is my first post too!... thank you all for the feedback. Wife and I are now back from the dealership... and ... well... we ordered a new Jeep! No down payment necessary. Did get the Rubi in Black w the black / dark saddle leather trimmed heated seats, auto trans (my poor leg, and Michele loved it too), side air bags, tinted windows, body color hard top and fenders (I love this about the Sahara, comes standard, I'm sure will get a bit trashed on trails tho), remote start (another age / laziness / convenience combination influenced decision), nav, tow pkg, air temp control w filter, power convenience group,connectivity option and 4.1 gears... all for just 35.7k which seems reasonable. Should be able to sell my mint 09 Sahara for about 23-24k... So an additional 11k gets me tons of options I do not have now... Hell, I could dump 3 grand into that mini van engine and still not get the ponies that come stock with the penstar. Oh, and that auto trans... :thumb:

So this was a very pleasurable evening to say the least. Not sure how long it will take to get it built and delivered, but I'm in no hurry and have the Denali to drive once the Sahara sells to fill any time gap.....

New Jeep Fever strikes again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts