Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just have a question or two for you people who have installed a BD lift on your yjs...did you need any other pieces than with what came with the lift kit?
i was reading online how most people would get the drop pitman arm and brake line extensions, and even heavy duty steering stabilizers.

also how was the install? pretty easy? long hours? how is it holding up since?

and if anyone has any pics of this lift kit with 31s or 33s that would be cool :punk:

thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
when u say BD. is that body lift or a set up?? if ur gonna do a suspension lift of 3.5 u can fit 33s easily. if u have a saw and a impact wrench it is pritty quick. just make sure u have all new bushings and Ubolts to put in. u dont really need the stabalizers or drop pitman arm. only thing u kind of need is the upgraded sway bars and trac bar in front.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black Diamond Suspension lift...

here is what it comes with...

Parts Included
4 Leaf Springs with Polyurethane Bushings
4 AT Shock Absorbers
8 U-Bolts
Front Track Bar Relocation Bracket
Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket
Transfer Case Lowering Kit
Front and Rear Bump Stop Extensions
Extended Anti-Swaybar Links
Brake Hose Relocation Brackets
Installation Hardware

yeah i was thinking about 33s but i only have 2.5L and drive my jeep 95% of the time on the highway plus i already have 15x7 rims to fit 31s..id figured later on if i want to turn it into an off road monster then i will get new rims and 33s...for now im cool with 31s and a 3.5" lift...this is my 2nd car anyways...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahah yeah trust if me i would go wild with it but money is always an issue unfortunately and over here in northern nj there is nothing but pavement and stop lights lol no offroading really which sucks

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have a 2.5 with 33s and stock gears and its definatly slower but i put on a 4.0 throttle body and a tb spacer and its not bad. and it still goes 75 to 80 it just takes a little longer to get there. if you are going to buy new tires buy the bigger ones especially if you plan on getting bigger ones later. and 33's look awsome

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well if you read all of the details the one on the Black Diamond website says in another section of the page that shocks must be purchased separately. In the upgrades and accessories section it lists all 4 shocks for $82 making the kit a total of $680. The quatratec site lists everything but the drop pitman arm and in their catalog it is $70 and the kit comes with shocks making the quadratec kit a total of $740. Just look at the prices and I think you will find the better deal here...:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have that kit on mine.. or did.. It comes with almost everything, You will need the dropped pitman arm and it should come with brake line relocation brakes so you don't need extended lines. It should also come with a T-case drop that will need to be installed unless your doing an SYE.
The springs will give you about 4inch of lift until they settle.
I have replaced my front two springs because of an accident but they where fine before that @ about 3 years of use.
You can run 33's easy with some fender trimming or TJ flares
With any high arch leaf spring they will run very stiff and bouncy especially until they settle a little.
Here is a pic of mine with TJ flares and flat fendered before I did a body lift.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have that kit on mine.. or did.. It comes with almost everything, You will need the dropped pitman arm and it should come with brake line relocation brakes so you don't need extended lines. It should also come with a T-case drop that will need to be installed unless your doing an SYE.
The springs will give you about 4inch of lift until they settle.
I have replaced my front two springs because of an accident but they where fine before that @ about 3 years of use.
You can run 33's easy with some fender trimming or TJ flares
With any high arch leaf spring they will run very stiff and bouncy especially until they settle a little.
Here is a pic of mine with TJ flares and flat fendered before I did a body lift.
ok awesome thanks! i was hoping someone would put some input in soon lol. where did you order it from?

glad to here the leafs were strong after 3 years...that what i was kinda looking for..nice strong leafs that dont sag too soon. yeah i am considering the 33s but will probably end up with 31s...that awesome pic of your jeep is with 33s right?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes they are 33's. I forgot to say it has a 1/2 inch shackle lift also so 31's should look just fine on it after the springs settle down.
Just a warning though these are very stiff springs.
I now run 3.5 inch BDS springs up front which seem to be much softer. If I where to do it again I would have either bought 2.5inch Old Man EMU springs or Rubicon Express springs. But they are considerably more expensive.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes they are 33's. I forgot to say it has a 1/2 inch shackle lift also so 31's should look just fine on it after the springs settle down.
Just a warning though these are very stiff springs.
I now run 3.5 inch BDS springs up front which seem to be much softer. If I where to do it again I would have either bought 2.5inch Old Man EMU springs or Rubicon Express springs. But they are considerably more expensive.
alright awesome thanks. as in stiff do you mean super bouncy when hitting bumps? yeah i was looking at BDS and have heard really good things about there lift kits but they are pretty expensive. at first i was going to do a 2.5 inch RE but then i decided to just go bigger because down the road if i decide to put on 33s i will have to room already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts