Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are in our 40s. We are looking for a used JK as a 3rd vehicle that we will garage and only take out on the weekends when the weather is nice. We plan to keep it in the garage with the top off and take out occasionally putting around 3k miles on it per year. :)

We were looking for a fairly loaded Sport but ran up on a 2015 Willys version for a really good deal that has the options we want plus a couple more. :happyyes:

Our reservation is that it appears as thought it's geared towards younger people (ie. 20 year olds) trying to get a Tonka type look.

If we buy it should we feel weird driving a Willy's version even though we are in our 40s??? We aren't trying to be 20 again, we are just looking for a JK that we like!

Sorry if this is a dumb question but we are new to Wranglers (never owed one) and we are wondering if this is a version geared towards the younger crowd as it seems like a Tonka-like version.

We thought you guys would be the best to ask for an honest opinion.

Thanks for you help!!!

:worthy:

·
Registered
156 Posts
What on the Willys looks like its for kids in their 20's? Is it the rock rails? The fabric seats? the removeable sticker pack or the black grill? Whats a Tonka type look?

I'm not sure what to think... I drive a Willy's and didn't realise how inappropriate it might be... Are you sure you aren't looking at a modified Willy's?

·
Registered
581 Posts
What the ****? What on the Willys looks like its for kids in their 20's? Is it the rock rails? The fabric seats? the removeable sticker pack or the black grill? Whats a Tonka type look?

I'm not sure what to think... I drive a Willy's and didn't realise how inappropriate it might be... Are you sure you aren't looking at a modified Willy's?

Take it easy willy! Maybe the jeep they have come across is like the first one in your pics. I could see why they may have hesitation it does look like a young person type of ride... no need to cuss!

·
Registered
581 Posts
My wife and I are in our 40s. We are looking for a used JK as a 3rd vehicle that we will garage and only take out on the weekends when the weather is nice. We plan to keep it in the garage with the top off and take out occasionally putting around 3k miles on it per year. :)

We were looking for a fairly loaded Sport but ran up on a 2015 Willys version for a really good deal that has the options we want plus a couple more. :happyyes:

Our reservation is that it appears as thought it's geared towards younger people (ie. 20 year olds) trying to get a Tonka type look.

If we buy it should we feel weird driving a Willy's version even though we are in our 40s??? We aren't trying to be 20 again, we are just looking for a JK that we like!

Sorry if this is a dumb question but we are new to Wranglers (never owed one) and we are wondering if this is a version geared towards the younger crowd as it seems like a Tonka-like version.

We thought you guys would be the best to ask for an honest opinion.

Thanks for you help!!!

:worthy:
Ultimately you make that choice. Nothing wrong with hip forty year olds ! And nothing wrong with a more conservative type too! YOLO !

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Willy's sounds ideal for you... The Rubicon would be over spec'ed, but the Willy's has enough extras under the skin to make it more than capable out of the box... Like a limited slip dif & upgraded 4x4 system. It also has heavy duty shocks and 3.73 gears (check this and try to make it one of your wish list items). If you are using this Jeep for leisure only, you probably won't want to make it into a project & want it to work well in its base spec.

I'm forty ands never thought that it looked like a young persons vehicle... suits me perfectly...

From a styling point of view I like the gloss black grill and wheels & the rock rails... it's a very simple look.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
The fact you would even think you need to ask this question is a good indication this is not the Jeep for you. It matters not what the parameters are that caused you to ask it. Something about this Jeep -- possibly all Willys, possibly all Jeeps, but you haven't identified to us the particulars -- but something about this Jeep has you second guessing. They made over a million of them. Keep looking until you don't feel the need to ask such a question.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All of the above does not mean "don't question a Jeep you are considering." It means that this particular question -- and I hate to sound mean here but I can't think of a nice way to phrase it -- this question is asinine. Visually, the Willys differs from the Sport in having a black grill vs. body color, black wheels of the same size vs. silver, and MT vs AT tires, again in the same size. There's also the sticker on the hood, easily removeable. So being bothered that a Willys looks like "a Tonka" is code for something else you're not telling us. Either you don't want a Jeep at all, or this one is heavily modified and you left that out, or the color is wrong for you, or the price is more than you want to spend, or you don't want to give yourselves permission to spend $25k on a toy, or you are somehow weirded out over being 40 and haven't come to grips with that... I could go on. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Jeep Willys a year ago and it has never occurred to me that it was a "Kids" version. I'm loving mine! Oh yeah - I'm 63.
I could care less what others may think and neither should you. The only thing that should be important is - do you guys like it and does it have the features you want.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
We also considered the 2017 Willys Unlimited (had out sights on a Rhino) but it was just a tad out of our price range. If one was to look at our built sheet for the 017 Unlimited Sport (Direct from the factory).. it's more or less a Willys without all the badges or decals..

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I would talk with your therapist about it on your next visit.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
The fact you would even think you need to ask this question is a good indication this is not the Jeep for you. It matters not what the parameters are that caused you to ask it. Something about this Jeep -- possibly all Willys, possibly all Jeeps, but you haven't identified to us the particulars -- but something about this Jeep has you second guessing. They made over a million of them. Keep looking until you don't feel the need to ask such a question.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All of the above does not mean "don't question a Jeep you are considering." It means that this particular question -- and I hate to sound mean here but I can't think of a nice way to phrase it -- this question is asinine. Visually, the Willys differs from the Sport in having a black grill vs. body color, black wheels of the same size vs. silver, and MT vs AT tires, again in the same size. There's also the sticker on the hood, easily removeable. So being bothered that a Willys looks like "a Tonka" is code for something else you're not telling us. Either you don't want a Jeep at all, or this one is heavily modified and you left that out, or the color is wrong for you, or the price is more than you want to spend, or you don't want to give yourselves permission to spend $15k on a toy, or you are somehow weirded out over being 40 and haven't come to grips with that... I could go on. Good luck!

You're such a jerk, but man are you pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
We are entitled to an explanation from the OP. What in your mind is a Tonka version??? I'm 63 and drive a Rubicon that I've run out of things to change on it. Lift, tires, wheels, etc. etc. etc. Am I driving a Tonka version? I couldn't give a fat rats backside what anyone else thinks and that will never change. Vanity is a waste of energy. I'm in this for me and me alone.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm also confused with the question, I bought a new JKU S in 2012, ended up buying a new 2016 Willys last year. I loved the look and the extra options on the Willys that my 2012 didn't have. I'm 58. I looked at the purchase last year as an upgrade with the black wheels/MT tires, 3.73 gears, trac loc dif. etc.I didn't really need the options that come on the Rubi, so I went with the Willys Wheeler. Different editions have nothing to do with age, it's all what each individual is looking for.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
re: " We aren't trying to be 20 again, we are just looking for a JK that we like!"

if you get in and drive it you'll be too busy having fun to worry about what people think

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bought a Jeep Willys a year ago and it has never occurred to me that it was a "Kids" version. I'm loving mine! Oh yeah - I'm 63.
I could care less what others may think and neither should you. The only thing that should be important is - do you guys like it and does it have the features you want.
Boom!!! Right here, right now. Just turned 50 bought mine at 7% below invoice this past March with a factory order. Placed the order in December, picked it up this past March. $28,083.00 no trade, no hassle. Willys edition 2 door, automatic is the only option I added. In and out of the dealer in less than 30 minutes. Bought a bikini top, duster and bed cover through the used jk parts here and I run top off 90% of the time.
50 yrs old this past April and no way no how anyone could wipe the smile from my face when I'm driving it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There will come a time very soon, usually once you hit 50, where you won't give a crap about what anybody else thinks. Why not start a little early and just get what YOU like. Age is a mindset, and if your mind likes the Willy, just do it and don't look back. Life is too short to worry about whether or not someone thinks you are trying to be younger than you are. Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Jeez Luweez you guys, be nice! Even the OP acknowledged that asking if Willys are for young people might be a dumb question.

I agree with NoGa, there's something about the Willys the OP doesn't like and he can't quite put his finger on it.

Two weeks ago, I came out of the grocery store and was loading my Willys when a woman around my age walked up very excited about my Jeep. She was telling me stories about her younger days in Hawaii and owning a Jeep there. She also mentioned that when she saw mine she thought the owner would by younger (I turn 60 this month, sigh). I didn't take it personally. She was relating the Wrangler experience back to her youth.

To the OP, assuming we haven't crushed your soul and you're still reading this thread, the Willys package offers a lot over a base Sport for both off and on road, which is why I got one. I wanted everything in the package and just as importantly I wasn't being forced to take something I didn't want, like power windows or air conditioning. If the package appeals to you, then get a Willys. If it doesn't, get something else.

And welcome to the Forum, lol.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts