Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an 08 Manual JK and I have been thinking of some performance (sense we all now the JK isn't exactly the the fast). I have snorkel for off roading and a drop in k&n filter with mas made it more responsive, I am soon getting a magnaflow cat back system.

My true question is what is the best chip I can get to improve my performance, fast pick up, more torque, and getting as many ponies as I can out of the engine

·
Insert something witty...
596 Posts
I, and I am not alone, would have suggested foregoing everything else and re-gearing. In the end, it would have cost relatively the same (if not cheaper) and you would have been thrilled (as many of us have) with the results.

Sorry, no info on tuner chips, as I honestly believe that nothing, other than perhaps a supercharger, is going to give you the results you are looking for better than a re-gear.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hello I have an 08 Manual JK and I have been thinking of some performance (sense we all now the JK isn't exactly the the fast). I have snorkel for off roading and a drop in k&n filter with mas made it more responsive, I am soon getting a magnaflow cat back system.

My true question is what is the best chip I can get to improve my performance, fast pick up, more torque, and getting as many ponies as I can out of the engine
I agree with ShaunWV about the re-gearing.

That said, on another forum, these are the big two tuners. There was an ad on the right side of the page for the Superchips when I opened this thread. Oops. :D

Superchips

Performance is our Passion - Hypertech

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I asked is because I was in my friends FJ I which I know is faster then my jeep by a long run. When we we're overtaken by a wrangler, and my friend could not keep up with him ( please do say it's the driver, me and my friend are both professional rally drivers and have our share of experience) needless to say we lost the jeep but remembered the info. A few days later my friend ran into the same jeep a a gas station and ask him about his car why was it so fast, the guy said "nothing just a chip" my friend can't however remember if he said superchip or jet

·
Registered
564 Posts
A few days later my friend ran into the same jeep a a gas station and ask him about his car why was it so fast, the guy said "nothing just a chip" my friend can't however remember if he said superchip or jet
I'm sorry, but a "chip" just would NOT do this for a Jeep. I have the Superchips tuner. The main advantage for me is that I have automatic transmission; shift points are drastically improved, as is throttle response. The hp and torque improvement are minimal. You'd notice even less advantage with a manual. I've talked with a few manual owners and they like their Superchips tuner, but it is not a drastic improvement.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Renaissance_Redneck said:
I'm sorry, but a "chip" just would NOT do this for a Jeep. I have the Superchips tuner. The main advantage for me is that I have automatic transmission; shift points are drastically improved, as is throttle response. The hp and torque improvement are minimal. You'd notice even less advantage with a manual. I've talked with a few manual owners and they like their Superchips tuner, but it is not a drastic improvement.
Not for "racing"-unless you can smoothly bang through the gears...good luck with that :D

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I have an 08 manual Rubicon and have the SuperChips FlashPaq. I'm happy I got it. It has provided improved low end torque, a little more get up and go and about 1-2 better MPG. It also allows me to adjust my speedo for larger tires, lock my axles in 4-hi and few other things.

The improvements are noticeable, but are not huge.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my super ship yesterday,
Couldn't be happier, the pedal response is on key, my mpg went up put not by much, my speedo has been calibrated,
I can feel the power when I'm overtaking. Still haven't tested offroad put I can't wait, not sure how the locking axle works on a stock axle (I'm sure it's just a limited slip traction control)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts