Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The vacuum leak eluding me for far too long I discovered was between the carburetor and the adapter needed to use a MC on a 4.2 manifold. I was all over with a propane bottle several times and found nothing..until I used a can of brake cleaner with the red tube spraying directly under the fuel bowl to the mounting base, and the engine revved up considerably. I took off the adapter and using a flat metal service with a sheet of sand paper I discovered the the service was not flat so I worked it carefully using the sandpaper to get a nice flat surface and put it all back together and wow it actually idles now.
I think I still want to replace the carb though it still don't idle as smooth as it should.
Gee I am looking forward to driving it for a few weeks before I park it in my shop for the winter!!:bop::bop:

Reactions: daddyjeep

·
Super Moderator
12,693 Posts
Great victory. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to find.

Do you think that when finding the leak with brake cleaner the difference was in the material you were spraying (propane vs. brake cleaner) or the fact that you could concentrate the spray on a smaller area with the straw?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leak

Oh definitely, with the propane much of the gas that comes out is washed away buy the cooling fan. The brake cleaner or other like products is a little unnerving to use on a hot engine but using short blasts help minimize that danger. It was very cool to drive over to a little pub by the lake and hang out for awhile. It still does not run as well as it should so I think I am going to order a new carb from National Carburetors they sell reman units as well as new but the carb body on the the new are imported and the jets are
not interchangeable .I am going for the remanufactered.

·
Super Moderator
12,693 Posts
Oh definitely, with the propane much of the gas that comes out is washed away buy the cooling fan. The brake cleaner or other like products is a little unnerving to use on a hot engine but using short blasts help minimize that danger. It was very cool to drive over to a little pub by the lake and hang out for awhile. It still does not run as well as it should so I think I am going to order a new carb from National Carburetors they sell reman units as well as new but the carb body on the the new are imported and the jets are
not interchangeable .I am going for the remanufactered.
I bought my re-manufactured Carter BBD from Nat. Carb. and am happy with the product and the service. I had a minor issue with mine because of the altitude where I live (6500'). They offered to re-jet the carb for free. I didn't want to lay the Jeep up for the time to ship the carb both ways so they promptly sent me a set of jets for free so that I could install them myself.
That was 4 years ago. The carb still works like it should.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Dunk
1 - 5 of 5 Posts