Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna hit up Peter's Mill in a few hours. If you see a Black JL with the freedom panels off, wave.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’d be interested, I have a stock hard rock.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
A few of us may be headed up to big levels in next couple weeks, interested? This would be my third time going but 1st time going as a group. I'd say 3-4 jeeps max.
Big Meadows would be fun, haven't bee there in years!
Recovery gear - GET IT now! Going out by yourself creates an attitude of lust for the wild, I know dang it cuz it's FUN! Then like me eventually you'll get stuck and have to call someone..... Maybe we all do it and not many really talk about it out of embarrassment.

Once we build that self reliance it is hard to break. I wheeled all the way across America on dirt roads by our selves because I just couldn't find anyone to go with us (wife and I), so I know... What trip! But I was puckered-up in the drivers' seat several times. No, these weren't all forest roads...

Big Meadows has had me locked on the side of a hill (2009 I think) too and once stuck all I had left was to go forward. Eventually we got out of there and the sight of that old yellow school bus (if it is still there) was a blessing.

So I say get the gear before you get too far in and PLAN the trips before you go. Pick a trail and stay on it as best you can Yea, you'll get lost but what the hay? That's part of the adventure! Skidmore Lake and Flag Pole it a good place to wander too... But for Gods sake be safe.

I'm coming up for the VA4WDA Annual in Sept. and would love Shoe Creek just for old times sake but I hear much of it is shut down.

·
Registered
22,846 Posts
Where is Peters Mill Run and Big Meadows? Any land use issues? Thanks!
Peters Mill. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477 You can also look it up on the google maps as well. This is an easy run with two way traffic, being motorcycles and side by sides.

Bald Mtn./Big Levels. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9829014,-79.0737935/37.914394,-79.0733311/@37.9419137,-79.0941996,13.56z/am=t/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-79.0694336!2d37.9599765!3s0x89b343215a98ae4d:0xaad4cd164b134c59!1m0!3e0!5m1!1e4

Disregard the time on the map. Take someone with you. also expect pinstripes in the paint.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've been to all these solo, for big levels/bald mountain, it would be wise to take recovery gear if you get stuck in the deep puddles, it both of them are relatively friendly. Of course, it's always best to go with at least one more but if you have no one else to go with or prefer not to, it's relatively safe, always be prepared for the worse if you go solo though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts