Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a weird occurence just recently...once a couple mornings ago and again this morning. I backed out of my driveway and drove maybe a block and my "Check Gauges" light comes up on my dash. I look over and my battery gauge is in the red right below the 9. I drive about 10 miles out to work (I figure worst case scenario Ill get some help from my buddy who works in my building if I need it). I make it all the way out to work with the light on and the needle never budges. I park, turn off, sit for a couple seconds and turn the jeep back on and everything comes up normal...battery at 14 no "check" anything light. Anybody run into this or have any idea what may cause this? It happened twice, both in the morning (dont know if this is coincidence or associated).

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My guess is dirty contacts of the dash cluster. Next time it happens, try pushing or tapping the dash to see if it resolves. Mine started randoming doing the"no gauges, airbag light on" and goes away when I push on the dash. I was plan on pulling the the instrument cluster and cleaning the contacts soon.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is dirty contacts of the dash cluster. Next time it happens, try pushing or tapping the dash to see if it resolves. Mine started randoming doing the"no gauges, airbag light on" and goes away when I push on the dash. I was plan on pulling the the instrument cluster and cleaning the contacts soon.
Hmmm...Ill have to try that. A while ago I would get all sorts of weird stuff going on with my dash (speedo/tach would go to zero, airbag light would come on). This used to happen pretty frequently, but probably hasnt happened for a few months now, so I may try pushing on the dash and/or cleaning it.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Havent gotten around to pulling it apart yet and looking at it...but it was substantially worse this morning. I started the jeep and EVERY gauge except the odometer was at zero...battery, gas, speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp...all at 0, even while driving. On top of that I had an airbag light, and the "no key" light (has a picture of a key that is crossed out). When I got to work, I turned the jeep off and then keyed it to the on position a few times...i managed to get the gas gauge and few others to register, but not consistently. I also threw an intermittent CEL...so I am gonna have my buddy hook up his OBDII and see if I am truly throwing a code, or if my screwed up gauges are just causing random lights to come on.

Does anyone have any additional tips of things to try, do, or check? I am at a loss and really dont wanna take it into a shop if I dont have to.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try this Geoff, my '97 TJ's dash was intermittent until I did something similar to what is described here... TJ Jeep Problem with Instrument Guages.
Dang Jerry...I sure hope that's the problem :doh: Maybe it has rattled itself loose that barely anything works now. That's what I am hoping for at least. Thanks for that!! I hope I find some time this weekend to check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts