Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I have done extensive research on the infamous oil leaks for TJ's. So far I have replaced the oil pan gasket, rear main seals, and valve cover gasket on my 01 TJ.

Still, I see a quarter size oil drop after driving left on my driveway. Oil levels are good. My next step is to start looking at the head gasket, but I don't notice any water in the oil etc....

There was some oil on the back driverside of the block when I changed the valve cover gasket. Could it be that it just needs to be cleaned off but the leak is fixed??

Yes, I am frustrated with chasing this oil leak.....any help appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
773H HO said:
I just found the crush washer around the oil drain plug was leaving a small spot on my garage floor on occasion.
Yeah.....I thought about that too...but it is coming from higher on the block. Leaking down near the oil pan and off the tranny....

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Pep Boys and most garages can add UV dye to the oil, then you come back in a couple days and they will hit it with a black light. It becomes very obvious where the oil is originating from. I have seen UV kits in Autozone also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neil F. said:
Pep Boys and most garages can add UV dye to the oil, then you come back in a couple days and they will hit it with a black light. It becomes very obvious where the oil is originating from. I have seen UV kits in Autozone also.
Ahhhh...... Yes, that is a good thought. Thank you!

·
Banned
139 Posts
To make it easier to find, spray everything down with a pressure washer (the local do-it-yourself wash works fine) using hot water and soap. Give it a day or so, then check again with a flashlight. Fresh fluid should be easily visible this way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the head gasket is bad it doesnt exactly mean that you will have oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil...i had to replace my head gasket and had no signs of coolant in the oil or vise versa. you could see the oil leaking around the head on mine plain as day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts