Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

A few days ago I started to hear the turn signal clicking behind the dash while driving (turn signal not engaged). When I did engage it, the random clicking stopped and the turn signal operated normally. Found out later that this would continue with engine off, no key in ignition. Disconnected the negative cable overnght to save my battery.
Checked the forum and found that this is common, possible moisture in the connection and to allow it to dry out and take care of itself over time. Yesterday I only heard the occasional "click" here and there and figured it was fixing itself. Got home later, after sunset, to see the driver side light flickering like crazy. No breaks, just a rapid fire click-click-click...until I again disconnected the battery (to reiterate, the signal was not engaged).
Was able to finally clean up my garage/shop space and moved it in there to tackle.
Here's the thing though, I've had the hard top on it for the past couple of years-no removal, and it hasn't rained in the past few days (common themes I found in the other threads related to this).
Could it possibly be something else?
I was planning on taking the column apart, unplugging the connection, hitting with some WD-40, and allowing to dry out.
Any other suggestions?

V/R,

Snacktical

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got this with a bad switch in the column. IIRC it was the signal switch. Don't remember for sure cause the emergency switch could do it too. They might be components in the same module.

On mine the right rear blinker would flash at least sometimes. The clicking was what I noticed first.

See if you can "adjust" or "massage" one of the switches to stop the clicking. I crack myself up sometimes. Seriously, jiggle the switches to try to make it stop clicking.

A lot of replacement parts are cheap crap. Try to not buy cheap crap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wrangler,

Update: turns out my emergency flasher switch was on which was leading to the constant, rapid-fire clicking. It stopped as soon as I flipped it off.
This takes care if that issue, but now my emergency flasher only engages my driver-side front blinker, not all four.
To be safe I have sprayed out all of the column connections? anyways (sensor safe, electronic spray), followed up with some di-electric grease.
Any suggestions for the emergency flasher?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I picked up the whole turn signal/emergency flasher switch assembly from autozone for 30 bucks about 7 months ago...fixed all my issues and still works great. I have a 98 tj so not sure if it's the same for you or not.

·
Registered
437 Posts
^That is probably your answer. If all of your turn signals and brake lights work properly it is probably the switch.

Buy the one with the lifetime guarantee. If it is cheap crap at least they will give you another one.

I think I replaced both switches on the steering column and the headlight switch. Had to return at least one of them for a replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts