Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a set of these on E-bay for $29.00. I thought it was a great price after seeing them most places from $44 to $50. I got them installed today which is a task for something that should be easy. I seen afterward that many go through grill but didn't search first but removing horn and moving the fluid tank out of the way wasn't that hard either.

I have to say that for a cheap upgrade these light are great. Maybe not a HID but they are significantly brighter then the stock lights. I would recommend these to anyone.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Found a set of these on E-bay for $29.00. I thought it was a great price after seeing them most places from $44 to $50. I got them installed today which is a task for something that should be easy. I seen afterward that many go through grill but didn't search first but removing horn and moving the fluid tank out of the way wasn't that hard either.

I have to say that for a cheap upgrade these light are great. Maybe not a HID but they are significantly brighter then the stock lights. I would recommend these to anyone.

I did the same last week with my 2010 Rubi, took the grill out though per the manual. If you did it this way you would have realized how cheaply made the reflector housing is. I agree the bulbs are a good inexpensive mod, but the reflectors still leave much to be desired. First chip or crack in them and I will upgrade them too.

·
Registered
543 Posts
rics1997 said:

I would agree. Throw those same type of bulbs in a better reflector and upgrade the harness and you will be blown away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put mine in yesterday...Managed NOT to break any clips or skin my knuckles! Definitely brighter than stock, but I got mine from Candlepower.

Thinking I might do the Cibies...I have the Rallylights in a box...working my way up..keeping the receipt!

·
Registered
543 Posts
X-2 here..^^
Too bad mine will be short lived. Remember how we were talking about being a bit obsessed? I think I have gone off the deep end. I am really thinking of picking up the jwspeaker led headlamps. I am working on getting them cheaper through the harley dealer with a discount. I am ordering up the lightforce hids next week. Working a deal now for lighting for the gobi rack that is soon to be here. Thinking a 42" xmitter or reflex led bar. Like I said before I want to be seen from space.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Too bad mine will be short lived. Remember how we were talking about being a bit obsessed? I think I have gone off the deep end. I am really thinking of picking up the jwspeaker led headlamps. I am working on getting them cheaper through the harley dealer with a discount. I am ordering up the lightforce hids next week. Working a deal now for lighting for the gobi rack that is soon to be here. Thinking a 42" xmitter or reflex led bar. Like I said before I want to be seen from space.
Well it is crazy dark in Alaska...ok, your obsessed and don't worry, you'll be seen from the space station..lol

Be sure to post up some pics(off angle please) when you get 'em in.:eek:

You can be your own Aurora borealus..(can't spell)

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Remember that they don't throw much heat forward; the semiconductors throw heat back.
I don't know how well they've accounted for snow/ice accumulation on the front of them.

The light is also a very cold (6000K maybe) color temperature that produces a poor color rendering index and lots of bounce-back off things like signs and snow.
Just things to consider with LED and HID too.

They are drop-dead sexy though. The Jessica Biel of headlights.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got a set off ebay myself. Can't wait to get them!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hilldweller said:
Remember that they don't throw much heat forward; the semiconductors throw heat back.
I don't know how well they've accounted for snow/ice accumulation on the front of them.

The light is also a very cold (6000K maybe) color temperature that produces a poor color rendering index and lots of bounce-back off things like signs and snow.
Just things to consider with LED and HID too.

They are drop-dead sexy though. The Jessica Biel of headlights.
You just had to go and bring Jessica into this. The body on that girl is hard to top. I could go on all day.

I hear you on the color spectrum thing. I'm ordering the lightforces in 4200k so they should be fine.

The led headlights are a long way out but it is my understanding that the jw speaker units are a warmer color temp. I have seen the trucklites in person and they are for sure that 6k crap. The comparison pics I saw seems to show the jwspeaker units to at the very least be warmer in color temp than the trucklites. Maybe not quite 4200k but better than 6k. Time will tell.

The led light bars I'm looking at also come in a warmer temp if you specify when ordering. The pics I have seen seem to confirm that. I'm with you. I hate 6k or higher. Thanks for the thoughts though brother. I know your trying to make sure I spend my money the right way. Already saved me from the ipf stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much if any are these better then silverstar ultra's I am running in my 2010 Rubi now? Should I swap to the Phillips?\
Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
How much if any are these better then silverstar ultra's I am running in my 2010 Rubi now? Should I swap to the Phillips?\
Thanks
Todd
Like a Corvette next to a Chevette; they're both 'Vettes, right....?

Maybe not quite 4200k but better than 6k. Time will tell.
There just aren't any white LEDs yet. They're getting closer though and it's just a matter of time until it's all LED.

A little video of Jessica's headlights in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L4IpIRR-Lw

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
took the 08 Sahara out for a ride last night, first time after dark since purchase last week.

Definitely NEEDS upgrade lights!!!

Hilldweller, are you saying the Phillips H13 are ~the~ current best choice for stock replacement without going to separate units?

I've always been leery of cowl mount, though long ago use of a high output spotlight (using aircraft landing light technology of the era) was quite effective.

These days I am also concerned of the legality of whatever on-road install is made.

My fog lights do wonderful for about 20' in front at about 30 mph. Given the heavy fog this time of year here in the PNW that is a positive. Still, there are other driving conditions I need to upgrade.

Looking to order 'something GOOD' this coming week.

Expanded choices are welcomed, please comment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts