Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of piaa 520 fogs sitting here waiting to be installed. Question, It says to connect the white wire to a switched source of power. What is every one tapping into since it says not to use the cigaret lighter since the wiring is week. Thats what i was going to do but now what, also i want to use some kind of rocker switch or maybe the stock rocker switches.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tapped mine into a fuse in the underhood fuse box. I also found some OEM switches with "Blinders" written on them from Onboard Air on eBay.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here are the switches. I have one set tapped into the ignition fuse and the other set tapped into the radio fuse, both in the underhood fuse box.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
I have a set of piaa 520 fogs sitting here waiting to be installed. Question, It says to connect the white wire to a switched source of power. What is every one tapping into since it says not to use the cigaret lighter since the wiring is week. Thats what i was going to do but now what, also i want to use some kind of rocker switch or maybe the stock rocker switches.
Without knowing what that white wire is going to on your PIAA wiring circuit, it's impossible to give you the right place to connect it to.

You have purchased a pre-wired wiring harness kit which includes a relay in it, right? Driving & fog lights should always be powered by a relay, not just a switch in a wire going to some unsuitable power source.

PIAA, KC, etc. make inexpensive pre-wired wiring harnesses that make getting such lights connected and working an easy process. Basically a wiring harness with a relay allows a small switch with lighter gauge wiring to control a relay that provides the power via heavier-gauge wiring to the lights. This prevents the fairly heavy current drawn by the lights from eventually burning out the switch when you don't use a relay-controlled circuit to control the lights. It also allows the lights to burn at full brightness since the relay provides full battery voltage to the lights via fairly heavy-duty wiring.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My PIAAs came with a harness and relay. The white wire he's talking about is just switch power, per the PIAA instruction sheet. BTW, I'm running 4 510s on my Polaris Ranger, and 4 540s on my TJ. None use the PIAA switch. I'm running Codura boat switches on the Ranger, for water resistance, and the above OEM switches in the TJ.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
My PIAAs came with a harness and relay. The white wire he's talking about is just switch power, per the PIAA instruction sheet.
You mean switched power? If so, and since these are fog lights and not driving lights, then that wire can be can be connected to the low-beam power lead at the back of either headlight. That way the fog lights will shut off when the high beams are turned on as fog lights are supposed to work.

For driving lights, I would instead connect that wire to the high beam power lead. That way when the stalk is used to turn the high-beams off for oncoming traffic, the driving lights will shut off too.

All this of course is dependent on if his PIAAs did come with a wiring harness and relay.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If he bought them new, the harness should have been included, at least all mine were. The harness is actually pretty decent, other than the switches. They were actually just push buttons that stick on with 3M tape. I am very pleased with all my PIAAs, Other than being a little over priced, I even swapped the bulbs in my KC headlights for PIAAs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i fig it out, lol since the cig lighters are live even with the truck off, so i just ran a wire from the fuse box that was vacant, also i noticed there is no fuse on this relay harness at all, so how do i fig out what amp fuse to use? sry for all the questions lol electrical is not my cup of tea never has.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts