Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in electrical but got no response so I thought I would try here also.

I just installed a set of PIAA 540 Series Plasma Ion Fog Lamps.
I used the switch that is part of the wiring loom that came with the kit.

Is it normal that the lights come on every time the engine is started?
The switch is not a two position switch (on or off).
You have to turn it off each time you start the engine (unless you need them of course)
If this is not normal...any ideas what the problem might be?

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Wher are you getting your b+ feed from? The battery or somewhere else. Also, where is the switch b+ lead coming from?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wher are you getting your b+ feed from? The battery or somewhere else. Also, where is the switch b+ lead coming from?
The way this loom is set up really makes hook up easy, that I why I was a little surprised I have this problem. Here is the diagram. The switch is all ready wired in to the loom so there are only three connection points. The two battery connectors are obvious. That leaves the "switched power" wire to connect. I used a "fuse tap" to an unused and switched fuse slot.
It was that simple.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Here is another thought. On my PIAA's the light on the switch is red when they are on, green when they are off. Are you leaving the switch on when you turn the Jeep off?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is another thought. On my PIAA's the light on the switch is red when they are on, green when they are off. Are you leaving the switch on when you turn the Jeep off?
I am pretty good at remembering to turn if off especially now as I am trying to figure out what is going on.
I just now checked to see if mine lit up green and red like yours...and it does. I never noticed because I have the switch on the bottom side of the steering column.
That said....when I checked just now, I did not get into the Jeep but stated it up standing outside so I could check the switch. What I noticed is that the light did not come on this time.
Now I am wondering if I am hitting the switch each time I climb into the Jeep??
I am going to try moving it and see what happens.
Where did you mount yours?
Thanks for the input Stan.
Jinx

·
Grampie
783 Posts
The way this loom is set up really makes hook up easy, that I why I was a little surprised I have this problem. Here is the diagram. The switch is all ready wired in to the loom so there are only three connection points. The two battery connectors are obvious. That leaves the "switched power" wire to connect. I used a "fuse tap" to an unused and switched fuse slot.
It was that simple.

Same wiring diagram that came with mine. So here are some questions:

See post above, are you leaving the switch on, when you turn the Jeep off? This is about the only way the lights will come on, absent a short in the wiring, based on how you say the lights are wired.

Next, a little background, Jeeps are now using pulse width modulation control circuits (PWM). PWM varies the voltage from 0 - 12 volts very quickly on a given circuit. This is very good for electroic control systems, and also allows the use of smaller wire gages on a given circuit, thus, a cost savings as well. Now a disclaimer, I'm a mechanical Engineer, and that's almost all I know about PWM.

Now some bad news: PWM is very bad for unprotected relays, and unprotected relays are very bad for your Jeep's electronics.

PWM can destroy your relay by causing it to open and close very rapidly (chatter). Chatter can be easily fixed by putting a capacitor across the relay.

When the relay coil turns off(collapses) this sends a large negative voltage spike thru the signal lead. This voltage spike can damage the Jeep's electronics. This can be resolved by putting a diode in the signal lead, and I put one across the relay coil as well.

I'll attach a wiring diagram, originally from Daniel Stern Lighting showing the where's and hows, as soon as I can find it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll attach a wiring diagram, originally from Daniel Stern Lighting showing the where's and hows, as soon as I can find it.
Sounds good...I will also see if this is as simple as my knee hitting as I get in...:facepalm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts