Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought this linked up yj cause i allways like the crawlers:D but after a few trips out it seems ass there is an excess of oil coming from valve cover gaskets pcv,breather,and filler. so i did a compression test and 90 across the board seems low but its my first jeep so whats the verdict. rings? valve seals? it runs great other than the oil thing. also i called jasper with a ref number of the block they said it was built in 2008 its 81-85 4.2 with a rv cam. eather way i have a bead on a 95 4.0 ho out of a cherokee for 250 bucks so thats a option.:punk:

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice looking jeep!

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's pretty much the same issue I'm having, leaks out of the top of the valve cover like no ones business. Obviously it's not good but it should run like that if you don't care about that for a long time. I think mine has been doing it for about 20 thousand plus miles...jeep thing

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The 4.2L is noted for a leaking valve cover. I would suspect that your major problem is a leak instead of anything internal.

Try getting a good quality valve cover gasket(not cork, it dries out and cracks within a year). Replace the PCV and the grommet, as well as the breather in the front of the valve cover and its grommet.

Do all of this and it should eliminate your oil leakage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I know they have a leaky valve cover and it doesn't bother me much that it leaks but when I sealed it up I actually blew my oil cap out due to pressure. What would be the cause of that? And if I did seal everything back up again would it happen again or just start making things leak from other places such as the main seal or the dip stick tube

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I know they have a leaky valve cover and it doesn't bother me much that it leaks but when I sealed it up I actually blew my oil cap out due to pressure. What would be the cause of that? And if I did seal everything back up again would it happen again or just start making things leak from other places such as the main seal or the dip stick tube
check to make sure that your pcv valve is working..sometimes they can get clogged inside of the manifold where the hose connects so that the suction is never reaching the pcv itself

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have checked by putting my finger to the PVC valve and it sucks my finger in. I have disconnected my breather hose and just put a breather insert in due to the fact so much oil was being sent to the carb. Now the breather filter is filled with oil.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have checked by putting my finger to the PVC valve and it sucks my finger in. I have disconnected my breather hose and just put a breather insert in due to the fact so much oil was being sent to the carb. Now the breather filter is filled with oil.
engine needs building

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice looking jeep!

thanks.

but still kinda bumed about the motor though but hay i bought that 4.0 so now i have two tired jeep motors. how should i build them was looking into strokers, but kinda high ball, people like the 4.0 head on the 4.2 bottom end but that would be the second rebuild on that bottom end. or just retro fit the 4.0 and call it good?

it came with 44 thousand in receipts so that makes me feel a litle better

·
Registered
670 Posts
thanks.

it came with 44 thousand in receipts so that makes me feel a litle better

:dance::eek:

Does that include all the gas receipts from 1990-current :rofl:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front Axle
Custom Dana high pinion 44 with Yukon 4:88 ring and pinion, Yukon Chromalloy axles and ARB air locker, with Warn locking hubs, disc brakes, armor proof differential cover

Rear Axle
8.8 ford housing with Yukon 4:88 ring and pinion, Yukon Chromalloy axles and ARB air locker, disc brakes, armor proof differential cover

Transmission
AX 15 jeep tranny rebuilt completely and upgraded with HD parts when this jeep was built

Transfer case
Atlas 4 - 4 speed case with ratios 1:1, 4:1, 6:1, 10.34:1 and front dig

Drive lines
Front and rear Chromalloy drive lines

Suspension
Poly Performance 3 link front and 4 link rear all links and brackets are from Poly Performance as a kit with all HD links, brackets and joints, Race Runner coil overs with remote nitrogen charged reservoirs front and rear with limiting straps to prevent damage to shocks when flexed out. Curry ANTIROCK sway bar in rear.

Cage and Interior
Poison Spider cage with custom modifications for extra safety and support for seats and tied into the frame in 6 locations. Two full size, Master Craft suspension racing seats with 5 point harness system in front and on junior size Master Craft suspension racing seat with 5 point harness system in rear all seats and belts are mounted to the cage.

Tires and Wheels
37" MTR tires with a full size 37" MTR spare. Wheels are black steel rock rims.
All 5 tires have the Staun internal bead lock system installed (This allows you to air down and not worry about breaking a bead inside or outside) I have NOT tried this but they say you can air down to 0 and run at 50 MPH on the Staun internal bead locks. I usually aired down to 3 PSI and never had any trouble.

On Board Air
Viiair 450 continuous duty suited with pressure regulator to air up tires and to run the ARB air lockers. This system will do a 35" tire in 2.5 minutes from 0 to 35 psi

Rear Bumper
L.O.D. rear tail gate and bumper only manufacturer at the time of build that would guarantee it would fit a 37" tire. (The best rear carrier I have owned yet.) The carrier has a storage (basket style) area on top for cooler, gas cans, saw, or whatever. The gate can be fitted with two gas cans and holders (NOT included), It is equipped with a Smitty Built high lift jack, it has 2 locations for clevises, a hitch and Also has custom shovel and axe mount.

Front Bumper
Custom front bumper with lots of clearance. Holding a 9500 LBS. rated Mile Marker winch with synthetic winch line. Also has pull hooks welded to the bumper (to help friends get unstuck) and 2 pro comp lights

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I like the simplicity of the 4.2 with a carb,simple electronic ignition and no sensors or computer but the 4.0 is much more engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts