Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My uncle bought a new truck a year an a half ago and left his 03 sahara to my brother. It sat outside for a while then we put it in his garage. Well my brother doesn't want it, so I'm taking it. I put a new battery in it checked oil it was good fired it up and it runs great! I know I'm going to have to change the oil and it will need new tires. It has 116,000 miles. It's a hardtop and hard doors. What are the best spark plugs to run? Anything else I should do to it? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow that's pretty cool.

I'm anal but I would change all fluids, filters and check for any leaking gaskets.

You said your replacing the tires so inspect the brakes as well.

How much gas was in the tank?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has about half a tank. The hardtop was never taken off the jeep! The soft top is still in the factory cover it came with and the orange rage in it that says dealer remove! It has no rust on frame but some rust under license plate and below door on rocker panel. I'll take some pics soon. It def needs a good cleaning! What are the best spark plugs?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Assuming it has gas with ethanol in it I would fill the tank full with non ethanol gas.

I wouldn't change the plugs until you run the rest of that tank of gas. The 4.0 is pretty basic engine so pick any set of plugs for the 4.0L I6.

Sounds like you have a nice Jeep.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'm hoping to get it on the road soon!! I currently have a 97 tj 4 cyl 5 speed. The only downfall to the 03 is it's an automatic. But it's newer with the 4.0 and less miles. Hopefully I'll get pics up soon!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sweet. I have had good luck with Autolite single platinum plugs and some folks recommend the double platinum Champion or Autolite plugs but I don't recall the numbers. Just use a conventional style plug and stay away from E3s or Splitfires, exotic Bosch plugs, etc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I'm going to try and get the hard top off it has never been off before! Should I replace the seals after I take the top off?

·
Registered
108 Posts
03 is a great year for the wranglers! Pics man! Let's see that bad boy

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to try and get the hard top off it has never been off before! Should I replace the seals after I take the top off?
Depends on the conditions of the rubber. If some sticks to the tub you may want to replace it. Just a heads up the top will take some muscle to break up seal.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The hardtop is a two man job, just so ya know. Don't put any fancy fancy spark plugs in the motor, you'll just get error codes. Regular copper plugs like the Champion 3034 (I think that's the number) or Autolite come recommended here. Also O2 sensors, use NGK.
As for gas, if you go to your auto parts store, look for Startron. It's a transparent blue bottle. If you dump that in your tank the first few fill ups, you should be having no problems related to ethanol. Also, run Shell or Chevron gas the first few tanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ACF. I'll do what you suggested. I plan in changing fluids too, what is everyone running in their jeep as far as oil goes? The Jeep has about 116,000 miles. It's an automatic should I change transmission fluid too?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'd change all the fluids, everything. When I bought my Sahara from the original owner I gave it to my local Jeep dealership and told them to change all the fluids and make sure they used only the factory-recommended stuff....it was cheap insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts