Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what I got myself into here. I always kind of wanted a small utility trailer to pull behind my Jeep. I haven't really "needed" one since we have a bunch of trucks at work that I can use whenever I need. Any way, I saw what I figured to be an ok deal on this on craigslist so I pulled the trigger.

Now, I don't really know where to begin with the restoration. Its rusted, it will need a new floor. The frame seems fine. The sides seem ok. The front and back could use a little TLC.

I guess just sandblast the entire thing and see whats left?

It does look pretty good behind my jeep though.

Here are a bunch of pictures of it. Someone welded the tailgate closed, but it looks easy enough to get back open.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Cool! Paint 'er up to match the Jeep and you're good to go!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Actually, the M416 trailer never had an openable tailgate. It was basically a big tub. They also didn't have any brakes, just a park brake. They were primarily pulled behind the M151A2 Jeep and it had no trailer brake capability. They originally had a 24 volt lighting system, but easy to use 12 volt lamps and wire in a 4 flat if it wasn't already done.

Ahh, the memories working on M-Series equipment for all those years...

John

Reactions: AirForceAngler

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the M416 trailer never had an openable tailgate. It was basically a big tub. They also didn't have any brakes, just a park brake. They were primarily pulled behind the M151A2 Jeep and it had no trailer brake capability. They originally had a 24 volt lighting system, but easy to use 12 volt lamps and wire in a 4 flat if it wasn't already done.

Ahh, the memories working on M-Series equipment for all those years...

John
Thanks for the info. Looking over it, it looks like someone cut it open to act like a tailgate. Because the line isn't exactly straight. Then later someone tacked it closed at the top. I thought the tub seemed too thin to be a tailgate. Maybe I'll beef it up and make it open again.

As far as the brakes. A previous owner cut them off. The park brake is gone from the tongue and there are little lines coming from each hub underneath. I don't really need brakes. So I might just leave them off. Or just replace the axle depending on the direction I go with the wheels. It would be cool to fine a pair of wheels to match my jeep. But I don't want to pay much for them. I'll probably just paint the steel ones black. And fine a take off set of tires for cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts