Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Good luck with the swap, I love my 8.8. What brackets are you using?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got almost everything stripped from the axle, all thats left is shafts, brake dust shields, and the R&P , i tell you taking apart those ebrake shoes sure makes me appreciate semi trailer brakes, 100x easier to work on! here some pics of those nice shoes.. i wonder if cutting the driver side ebrake cable was there fix to this haha where the shoe go!

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im just wondering if im going to have to replace those backing plates or not, the little arms that pivot for the ebrake system where pretty frozen up but might be all the rust in there anyone have this problem when tearing into there 8.8?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Looks good man. What is your list on what all you are replacing/doing/upgrading. I have been waiting to get mine, I already got my brother one and have been waiting to get mine but didn't want it sitting in my garage for too long, since it's not gona go in til spring at the earliest.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds almost identical yo my swap right now except mine is getting 3 linked.

I'll be finishing mine up around new years. One thing to consider : use oven cleaner to clean the axle. It's the best degreaser you could possibly use, and it wipes off no scrubbing. Just from my experiences :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Derp said:
Sounds almost identical yo my swap right now except mine is getting 3 linked.

I'll be finishing mine up around new years. One thing to consider : use oven cleaner to clean the axle. It's the best degreaser you could possibly use, and it wipes off no scrubbing. Just from my experiences :)
You mean 4 link triangulated?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Been researching doing this swap for way too long, I really should just get up and head to the junkyard right now...

Maybe tomorrow... :rofl:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4.10/4.11 gears, arb locker, artec mounts, debating on the super 88 kit(only going up to 33's so dont really think its needed but we will see where my funds go)

never got back out to the garage to finish grinding those mounts off today tho took a nap :) lol damn 3rd shift screws up my sleep sp much

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Derp said:
No. I meant 3 linked.

It's a 3 link rear with triangulated uppers and straight rubicon express superflex lowers.
So a one piece upper like a RK setup? Because to have triangulation you need two arms, and you need two lowers no matter what.

Unless youre running a track bar?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
JeepWrangler4x4 said:
4.10/4.11 gears, arb locker, artec mounts, debating on the super 88 kit(only going up to 33's so dont really think its needed but we will see where my funds go)

never got back out to the garage to finish grinding those mounts off today tho took a nap :) lol damn 3rd shift screws up my sleep sp much
Id do 4.56, ARB is great, artec truss is amazing. You wont ever have need for super 88 kit. Id trust the stock shafts up to 35"s running hard.

·
Registered
583 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
So a one piece upper like a RK setup? Because to have triangulation you need two arms, and you need two lowers no matter what.

Unless youre running a track bar?
Nope, full traction 3 link. Similar to an upper triangulated style, but the upper 3 link is a wishbone style. A one piece upper link system like a 3 link needs to be triangulated or it simply wont work. You don't have to have two separate arms to have triangulation. Look up the full traction system. I also don't need a track bar with it with the uppers being triangulated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
Id do 4.56, ARB is great, artec truss is amazing. You wont ever have need for super 88 kit. Id trust the stock shafts up to 35"s running hard.
The 8.8's weakness is the carrier. Stock shafts will not break on 37's. The carrier will fail first. For 35's and under a s8.8 isn't needed, and even then it doesn't address the weak point of the 8.8.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
Depends on his trans. If he has the 32rh and 4.0 then 4.10 is right (an cheaper) but other x2. I have heard the shafts can stand 37s without complaint.

·
Registered
583 Posts
GoldenSahara00 said:
Depends on his trans. If he has the 32rh and 4.0 then 4.10 is right (an cheaper) but other x2. I have heard the shafts can stand 37s without complaint.
Yep, its the carrier that causes a ruckus

1 - 20 of 73 Posts