Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 88 Jeep wrangler a while back off a friend of mine and it has been sitting a while now. Have had not time to mess with it been doing other things with my fleet of toys lol.

Never owned a jeep before I don't think I will be owning this one long as well. (Other projects in mind) Coming here though for info on it see what you guys think of it and what is a good going rate for it?

Who knows might end up even keeping it. Everyone says these things are a ton of fun.

Here is the info from what I know and I can get more as well.

Its an Automatic
Rebuilt inline 6 Jasper motor
Rebuilt Trans
Front end has been converted to CV shafts
Has a 1000 dollar winch that goes in either the front or rear bumper
all new brakes all around
Seems to have a bit of rust in places
Has 2 sets of soft tops and a ton of other accessories.

What do you guys think this is worth as is?

Might restore the body and clean it up. Spray paint is marking surface rust as well.

Jeep is currently at the tranny shop due to it leaking fluid from between the tranny and block. Guessing torqe converter or a seal? Took it out once tried to fix the seal started leaking 6 miles later. I mean pouring out. So decided to get it fixed right.

Motor runs rock solid! Has high idle out the gate for some reason. Guessing cold start? Please fill me in on any info I should know or ideas with this thing. I am pretty auto handy just never really messed around with carb's, jeeps, and auto trannies. My forte is my turbo busas lol.

Throw me offers if you want it as well as is. If I like one I might sell it as is. I have a big 7.3 diesel truck so I can deliver anywhere litterly.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you're doing this project to make money, not going to happen. You'll never get anywhere close to what you put into it.

See all kinds of things that will make it not great for a trail rig (tires, huge bumpers, huge body lift, CV shaft front end). Other things that won't make it good for a DD (rust, miles, troublesome carbed 4.2).

People fix these things up because they love 'em and want to keep them on the road/trail longer. Guys will buy a YJ for 5K in mint condition with the 4.0, 4K (if you're lucky) with the 4.2 and assuming it's perfect.

The way yours sits now, just bought one here for at the shop for $1K. After thousands of dollars and untold amounts of work, it looks like it just came off the factory line. If we were to sell it today, we'd get *maybe* half what we have in it. Thank God it wasn't an investment. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with the guy above me. Jeeps are great investments, just not if you're expecting a monetary return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome keep the info coming! Yes not exactly sure what i am going to do with it yet. No money invested yet, this is the third vehicle in a trade up process. Had a 95 beemer that i got for 1k which i traded for a nice truck then i traded the truck for this and i MORE than got my money out of the BMW. Its only worth as much as the next guy wants to pay as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts