Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my JKUR in a few hours. Any advice on things I should check out or test before I sign the papers? This will be my first Jeep and first 4x4 for that matter. Would like to have a small checklist (if you think I even need it) of what I should look at.

The excitement is REAL! Only my 2nd vehicle I've purchased. Been driving a little 2wd S10 since I was 19 years old (14 years).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats! Maybe just do a walk around, make sure there are no scratches or dings. No weird sounds, tires look ok. That sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hard top or soft top. Maybe too have them run a hose to check for leaks? Some do that, some don't.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Do a walk around.
Check underneath for excessive rust.
Make sure ALL your "goodies" that come with it are there.
You Want your window sticker AND build sheet
Check your tire air pressure (It will be too High)
Start it and take it for a little ride make sure tires are balanced.

That's about it I'd say.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check you have the manual, torx tool kit, and any accessories or soft top, mats, tow/recovery kit, etc. Check all fluids, and check for full tank of gas and fresh wash. Ask for no dealer branding (if you want) and the window sticker. Go over the checklist with salesperson, they should have one. Verify permanent plates will be mailed or picked up. ENJOY! :)

(bring your checklist with you, the excitement factor may cause you to forget, ask me how I know....)

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Don't look for a Manual (you aren't getting one) you'll get a Disc.
You can request a Manual from Chrysler or download a PDF file to your computer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Something I learned the hard way - check the windshield from all angles. I had mine home for 2 days when I noticed a 2.5-3 inch vertical scratch on the outside of the window, I picked mine up at night and it rained for the next 2 days, so it was hard to see.

I had to raise a little stink to get it fixed on their dime, they tried buffing it at first and saying it was fixed, but it obviously didn't work and they ended up having to replace the entire windshield.

Wrangler windshields get beat up enough without starting out that way!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Checklist:
1) inspect/admire jeep
2) drive jeep
3) wave at other jeeps
4) try to find a way to go to sleep tonight
5) repeat process daily

and congrats on the new jeep!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
1. Nice forum name - Go Royals!
2. Congratulations!
3. If you have a hard top, make sure the Freedom Panel bag is included.
4. Make sure you get 2 keys.
5. If you are in any way thinking you may want an additional top - hard or soft - get them to add one in before you finalize the deal. It will just add a few bucks a month to your financing if you are going that route. No ever complains that they have too many top options for their Jeep!
6. Enjoy the new Jeep!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Since you mentioned your first 4x4. Don't use 4wd on road. Sounds silly to most, because we know better, but I read someone tested it on road, on the way home. It won't ruin it first time, but not a good idea.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Have the dealer check all of the lug nuts.

My Mom & Dad were visiting for Christmas a few years back. Left to go back to Tucson early morning prior to rush hour - get to the western side of Fort Worth and a tire/wheel comes flying into their Crown Vic (yes, they are retired...) and into the windshield. They were fine, but the car was totaled. A young man had just picked up his brand new Ram truck the day before and lost one of his wheels. Never got tightened from the factory/dealership.

See ya on the Trail!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies! Glad I posted this, there were a few things here I wouldn't have thought about. I got my list ready. Pen cocked, locked & ready to rock. Heading up there right now!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Freedom panel storage bag

1 - 20 of 28 Posts