Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to keep my stock 18" rims and mount some bigger tires. Anyone have any good pics with bigger tires and stock 18's to share?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That looks nice Shark,,, is it also lifted?
It has a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost and 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. Of course that was last week, as of Christmas thanks to my wife it now has Procomp 7005 with those same tires. The silver Sahara is my buddy's, he has the same size Cooper STT tires on 18" stock wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but how are your bighorns when it comes to road noise/snow/ice/rain/mud/ride comfort? Been thinking of picking up a set. Thanks.
Road noise is pretty loud, but about average for an MT. As far as performance they are excellent on wet or dry roads and ride very nice for an MT. They are good but not great on snow, and very good in most off road situations. I haven't been on many extremely rocky terrains, so I don't know about that, but for trails and mud they do well. Overall they seem to be very tough and still look great after almost 4 years. They are one of the cheaper MT's you will find that still perform.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost and 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. Of course that was last week, as of Christmas thanks to my wife it now has Procomp 7005 with those same tires. The silver Sahara is my buddy's, he has the same size Cooper STT tires on 18" stock wheels.

Great looking Jeep Sharkbite! I too have a 10 Sahara and am planning on putting a BB lift on it. I'm guessing you used the TF kit with the shock adapters? Just curious to hear how the off-road performance improved if you don't mind sharing. Also, were the the spacers necessary in keeping the stock rims on 11w? Much appreciated man.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Also, were the the spacers necessary in keeping the stock rims on 11w? Much appreciated man.
Yes, you have to add spacers to go that wide, or wider on stock wheels... You know that tires are less expensive if you drop to a 17" wheel, right?

Oh, and if you're looking for spacers, I have a brand new set of Rough Country 1.5" Hub Centric spacers, never installed for sale... Shoot me a PM if you're interested. :) (He decided to get new wheels instead...)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Kinda bums me out that the JKs look so good with larger wheels and my TJ doesnt.

I feel better about my motor though. I cant stand driving JKs all day

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
MCAD135 said:
Kinda bums me out that the JKs look so good with larger wheels and my TJ doesnt.

I feel better about my motor though. I cant stand driving JKs all day
The 4.0 is an almost legendary motor that's had a lot longer to prove itself than the 3.8. Hopefully someday the 3.8 will be there.

FWIW though, the 0-60 times and torque numbers for the 3.8 beat the 4.0 in all categories. I'm not kidding--look it up. The reason your TJ feels "peppier" than JKs you've driven has to do with the more "car-like" ride provided by the JK. The TJ is bouncier and less controlled, so it feels faster, but it has nothing to do with the motor.

That said, don't knock your TJ's affinity for smaller wheels--the tires are cheaper!!

Edit: When I say the 3.8 beats the 4.0 in terms of acceleration and torque, I'm also talking SMALL margins. I want to say the 0-60 was better by just a few tenths of a second.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The JK bogs too much and feels heavier. It gets stuck more for a basic off road test because of the bogging. It feels like a car engine in a truck....which it is. LOVE the new interiors but I cant wait to drive a 3.6L JK. Those motors pull hard in every car we've driven with them so far

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
The reason your TJ feels "peppier" than JKs you've driven has to do with the more "car-like" ride provided by the JK. The TJ is bouncier and less controlled, so it feels faster, but it has nothing to do with the motor.

:rofl: Mine never feels fast.... :D

Edit: When I say the 3.8 beats the 4.0 in terms of acceleration and torque, I'm also talking SMALL margins. I want to say the 0-60 was better by just a few tenths of a second.
Ok, since you put it that way.... I'll buy it. :)

All I know is his Rubi, will take my TJ all day long.... For now any way ;) My 3:07's and 33's are no match for the stock 4:10's and 32's. Once he gets the 35's mounted up, he'll be a little closer to my world.... ;)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
MCAD135 said:
The JK bogs too much and feels heavier. It gets stuck more for a basic off road test because of the bogging. It feels like a car engine in a truck....which it is. LOVE the new interiors but I cant wait to drive a 3.6L JK. Those motors pull hard in every car we've driven with them so far
Well it is heavier. A better engine won't change that though.

I've heard the JKs, particularly the non-Rubis, described as "undersprung and underdampened" and I tend to agree. I think that more than anything else would provide a more sprightly feel. Those with good lifts of course correct that problem.

Bogging is really more about tires. I'm pretty sure stock JKs do better on just about any trail than do stock TJs. I'm positive they do better on any "basic offroad test".

Regardless, more pull in the engine will be a welcome addition. So will the better fuel economy. I'm going to stick with my 2010, but I'm all about whatever gets more people into Jeeps. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts