Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just installed a new LOD full length front bumper also set up as a Roadmaster baseplate replacement. Many thanks to those contributors in previous threads that have researched aftermarket solutions for towing a Wrangler behind a motorhome.

My Jeep is a 2012 JK Sport, auto, 3.73, with 2.5 inch lift and 35’s. Roadmaster makes baseplates for the stock bumper but at $464 + $300 to install they were not an option, since if I wanted to upgrade later, that solution would then be a throw away. I considered but decided against putting a winch on the stock bumper.

LOD and Rock Hard were the only two brands I found who said they could do it. I choose the LOD because their brackets are welded onto the bumper prior to powder coat and I liked the cleaner look. Rock hard has brackets that screw into the front of the bumper. Both companies can provide Blue Ox brackets as well. I like the LOD welded brackets, but the Rock Hard has the advantage of being able to unscrew and convert to Blue Ox at a later date. Rock Hard also has a built in skid plate.

The photos show the LOD optional skid plate. We have a plug for the RV electrical, a plug for the Brakemaster auxiliary brake cable, and a plug for the emergency breakaway line. All had to go somewhere safe out of the way of damage. Two were mounted onto and just behind the skid plate, one on either side angled out, and one went up by the winch. Plug placement is an issue - you can see from the photo our choices.

Since this was a custom bumper it was not in stock. My wait from order placement to shipment was only about 8 days. There was no extra cost for the Roadmaster brackets to be welded on.

The weight was 94 lbs, so I had it drop shipped to 4WD Hardware to install it. At the same time they put in the Smittybuilt 8,000 lb winch. We’ve tried it and it and it tows great. We were planning a trip to Moab, this was the last bit of equipment to square away the Jeep and the RV.

Thanks again to the Forum and participants that helped me in this decision.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Looks great. What was the cost to install? Are you pleased with the fit and finish of the LoD? I've seen some posts about sharp edges.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$ 778.00 JK Ft Bumper with Guard
79.00 Skid Plate
29.00 2012 Vacuum Bracket
120.00 Shipping

$ 886.00 Total + $120.00 Shipping - no tax

I called the factory and ordered direct at list price without shopping around for a price because I wanted the free brackets asap for a trip. I think I could have done better on this price but didn't work anyone.

Fit and finish look great to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I missed that you asked for an install cost. $360.00. This may seem a little high, but it includes the labor for the winch install as well. This 4WD location usually doesn't install bumpers that they didn't sell themselves. I had already bought mine online and wanted to drop ship it directly to them. They were a little reluctant to quote me until they heard I wanted them to install the winch as well. I chose the basic 8,000 lb winch for $299 but got the synthetic rope which was $150 additional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts