Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of replacing my current bumper with this style of tube winch bumper. But all the pics I see are on tj's. Is anyone running this style of bumper on their Yj? If so, would you mind posting a few pics?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Had that bumper on my old TJ. It was pretty stout, held up to being bounced off a bridge wall the first time. The second time it spun around it hit and bent inward and the tire hit the wall and shot me across the road like a ping pong ball.

Fit well and never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, you hit a bridge wall? Twice? Damn how'd you walk away from that?!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've got that bumper on my 92. Just different lights.Painted red..couldn't read what make the picture is but mine is Rugged Ridge...russ

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would ya mind posting a pic or 2?
Id like to see one on a yj before I pull the trigger.
The 1 in the pic is a Smittybilt xrc. But if the Rugged Ridge is similar it'll give me an idea.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wait, you hit a bridge wall? Twice? Damn how'd you walk away from that?!
Funny story, I was crossing over a highway on a bridge, when I hit some black ice and the jeep (TJ) immediately started sliding to the right, when the bumper hit the wall it spun the jeep around 180 degrees and hit on the drivers side which spun me back 180 degrees where the passenger side tire no longer protected by the bumper hit the wall and shot me across the bridge at a 45 degree angle. I put my hands on the outside of the steering wheel and leaned straight back in the seat as I knew the airbag was going to go off. When the front end hit the air bag went off and it spun me around until the back of the jeep hit the wall and it finally stopped. Ended up with a scratched nose from the air bag and both shins bruised when they slammed into the bottom of the dash from the impact.

Initial estimated damage to the jeep was almost $12,000.00. After they started tearing it apart they ended up ordering a new frame from Chrysler, new wheels, steering components, front and rear bumpers, fenders, 3 windshields (couldn't get the first 2 to seal right) and a lot of other stuff. Basically shifted the whole front end of the jeep over 2 1/2". Final cost $16,986.00. They could have totaled it and bought me out for $19,000.00 but it only had 14,000 miles on it. When it got fixed and I got it back I traded it in for a new Silverado, the sales guy looked at it with all the new parts with tags on them and told me that I must not have taken it off road much...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Russ.
Damn Sarge sounds like it could've been a lot worse.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
There is a Craigslist ad in Denver for that same bumper. The guy is asking $200.00.

That's all I know. I don't know the poster, nor have I contacted him.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: ZombiePopper

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a Craigslist ad in Denver for that same bumper. The guy is asking $200.00.

That's all I know. I don't know the poster, nor have I contacted him.

Good Luck, L.M.
Appreciate the heads up Mac, do you know what part of denver?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I checked the CL ad. The little map in the ad looks like just a bit South of 120th Ave and East of I-25.

Go to Denver CL and click on "auto parts". Then click on "by owner only". When the auto parts page comes up, enter "YJ" in the search box and hit enter. The bumper is almost half way down.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: ZombiePopper

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks BearBait I was really leaning more towards a late bumper but these style of tube bumpers are really growing on me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts