1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Speaking of gear sizes, here are a few picture of that "big" Dana 44 gear next to a Dana 60 and Dana 80, for comparison sake.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Speaking of gear sizes, here are a few picture of that "big" Dana 44 gear next to a Dana 60 and Dana 80, for comparison sake.

Yup... That D80 is what is under my Super Duty dually! Beefy, but then when ya tow around 16-19K it is kinda needed! :) :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yup... That D80 is what is under my Super Duty dually! Beefy, but then when ya tow around 16-19K it is kinda needed! :) :)
That Dana 80 is one big axle. Nice to see they are making them for Jeeps. Speaking of big axle though, you've got the Dana 80 in your Super Duty Ford, and I've got an AAM 300M in my Ram 3500 dually. The Dana 80 ring gear is 11.25" in diameter, and the AAM 300M ring gear is 11.81" in diameter. That is one stout axle, but it is in a dually truck that I use to carry a slide in camper than weighs more than my Jeep, and then tow the Jeep on a trailer behind the truck and camper. And the truck doesn't even breath hard to do it. Kind of wish they built Jeeps with such overkill engineering right from the factory, instead of us having to upgrade them to get it.

Here is what a stock AAM 300M axle looks like.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just, seeing the pinion teeth on the 3.73s makes me want to up to 4.10. Even the D44 3.73 teeth look diminutive next to the 4.10.

This also makes we wish there was a Axle Wiki with complete info and photos on every axle from a F100 to a Ram 4500 and everything in between and beyond. Even if I didn't need the info for a build, I would probably memorize it top to bottom just for fun.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
well since we are posting comparative pictures, here is my old 30 next to my new 60.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That Dana 80 is one big axle. Nice to see they are making them for Jeeps. Speaking of big axle though, you've got the Dana 80 in your Super Duty Ford, and I've got an AAM 300M in my Ram 3500 dually. The Dana 80 ring gear is 11.25" in diameter, and the AAM 300M ring gear is 11.81" in diameter. That is one stout axle, but it is in a dually truck that I use to carry a slide in camper than weighs more than my Jeep, and then tow the Jeep on a trailer behind the truck and camper. And the truck doesn't even breath hard to do it. Kind of wish they built Jeeps with such overkill engineering right from the factory, instead of us having to upgrade them to get it.

Here is what a stock AAM 300M axle looks like.
Yup...I hear you about these dually trucks anymore. I dont "haul" much in mine, but I have a 42' Raptor 5er that I pull, empty weight just about 13 K, also have my JEEP hauler, 38' enclosed gooseneck, triple axle...it is my portable "garage", it has all my tools, parts, JEEP, generator, and whatever else I decide to keep in there!
Back on topic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts