Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to put a new clutch in my 95YJ. My Buddy who is helping me and I have each done a few in the past, So I figured no big deal:whistling:. But the pilot bearing is seized in the back of the motor. I have used a bearing puller, and have tried using the grease with the bolt,socket method. No luck at all. The bearing is starting to break apart. The needle bearing have fallen out and part of the case is breaking,but the damn thing won't budge:banghead:. Any idea's?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Are you using a pilot bearing puller? Should be a slide hammer with a small hook on the end. These usually work

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a pilot bearing puller, 2 legs with hooks on the end. You turn a screw to spread the legs, I feel it hook behind the bearing. Then there is a u-shaped 2" wide that act as a foot. you screw a nut down and it pulls the legs out. unfortunately the legs bend in and the bearing won't budge. It is that frozen. No one has the slide hammer type around here.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The grease method works great with a pilot bushing, ok on a pilot bearing, but once the bearing falls apart and leaves the outer race, it almost has to be cut.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Just did mine, believe I used a long bolt that was 9/16 diameter on the shaft and I cut the threads off, this should give you the tightest fit possible. use a good thick grease and it has to be packed solid.

It probably won't pop out in one hit but move a little at a time.after every one or two knocks, you'll need to repack with grease

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you get to the point where all you have is the outer cage of the bearing you can take a sharp chisel and use it to cut the cage. go slow and remember the cage is softer than the crank,when you get it out make sure you dont have a gouge in the crankshaft if so you need to file it down smooth. sometimes you can get the edge of the cage to crinkle and it will come out. sounds like you did everything correct so far just one of those pain in the ass bearings. and after you install the new bearing make sure its free and the outer cage is not crushed up against the bearings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I picked up a slide hammer type pilot bearing puller. Tomorrow that bearing is coming OUT!:crash: All options are on the table. Hammer, chisel, grease, saws, bread, pullers, paper towels. It ain't gonna pretty,But it WILL come out.:firedevil: Thanks for the posts, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
i've never heard of the paper towel thing until just now. makes sense, works on same principle as the grease, just alot cleaner. some people use candle wax as well

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is a pilot bearing puller, 2 legs with hooks on the end. You turn a screw to spread the legs, I feel it hook behind the bearing. Then there is a u-shaped 2" wide that act as a foot. you screw a nut down and it pulls the legs out. unfortunately the legs bend in and the bearing won't budge. It is that frozen. No one has the slide hammer type around here.

If you have a Harbor Freight, or such, near you, they have slide hammer kits very reasonable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tips from the Beas

Get some bolt buster spray(Kroil-oil),saok it down, let it sit overnight or at least a few hours, resoak it, then use a little bit of heat and just take a sharp fine chisel and bust the thing out! They give you a replacement when you buy a new clutch and plate kit anyhow. Hope that helps with the :banghead:.

"the GRINCH":punk:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Easiest way to get pilot brg out is remove the fly wheel and drive it out with a hammer and punch, I know you're going to have the fly wheel resurfaced when you're installing a new clutch!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOO HOO It is finally out.:dance: It took a die grinder with a rotatory file. I cut a strip into the casing and it started to spin. Then I was able to remove it with a bearing puller that PEP Boys was nice enough to lend me. The bearing must have gotten hot and just about welded itself to the crank. Nothing else,air chisel,grease,saws-all worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts