Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty I should be getting my 35's mounted an balanced within the next week or to then later on adding 2.5" lift but I have a feeling ill be needing to trim the pinch seam. What are the best tools to do this? An what is the best way to patch it up after cutting the seam?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Instead of cutting mine, my dad walked up and just put black duct tape over it and said there fixed. But I have the stock SR-A's so its not as much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I hammered mine over with a plastic faced dead blow. Cut my neighbors with a 4" air cut off saw. Touched up the bare metal with some flat black rustoleum. Sprayed it on some cardboard and used a brush to apply it. If you have rubicon rock rails you'll want to cut about 2" off those as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Instead of cutting mine, my dad walked up and just put black duct tape over it and said there fixed. But I have the stock SR-A's so its not as much of a problem.
I used matte black spray paint on mine. Same stock setup. Problem solved.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
My 36s didn't rub, I doubt you will have to trim.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Put my 35" KM2s on Wednesday. The lift kit isn't due to arrive until next week. The pinch seam is close, but doesn't appear to be an issue for normal driving. The turning radius however, is complete crap because the fronts rub on either the bumper or the plastic skid plate, not sure which it is yet. I get about 360 degrees of wheel turn until it starts to rub. Makes parking in the parking lot interesting.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have a 1.5" lift so mine will fit fine an shouldn't rub much at all then gettin a 2.5" kit an selling the other but jist don't feel like cutting down a tire for something stupid. Rather just figure out the tools needed an do the job if I see fit

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 36s didn't rub, I doubt you will have to trim.
That is pretty crazy. I couldn't even get my 37 Coopers to fit even with a 4.5 lift and proper wheel backspacing.

but remember... just the tip.
That's what she said...:dance:

I cut my pinch weld with a Sawzall and took no time at all.

Filled in the cut with metal filler and sprayed with AEV touch up paint.

Had to cut the Rubi rails as well and that was significantly more difficult.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I had to cut mine ASAP

I had to cut the Rubi rails also so I taped it off to get the angle.

Marked it off and got a vertical line. The rock rails need to be cut straight, not at an angle because they have a plastic cap

I then went in and measured out the pinch seam itself. I took my time and got the exact measurement and angle I got. These are both pinch seams, one on top of the other. Pretty darn good IMO

FInally, I added some JBweld in the exposed seam and rounded off the edges, then I hit everything with some paint. Looks good as new

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to cut mine ASAP

Marked it off and got a vertical line. The rock rails need to be cut straight, not at an angle because they have a plastic cap

I then went in and measured out the pinch seam itself. I took my time and got the exact measurement and angle I got. These are both pinch seams, one on top of the other. Pretty darn good IMO

FInally, I added some JBweld in the exposed seam and rounded off the edges, then I hit everything with some paint. Looks good as new
Thanks for the details dude. Doesn't look like it'll be bad ill have to see get them mounted tomorrow

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to cut mine ASAP

What did you use to cut it as well?

·
Registered
420 Posts
The turning radius however, is complete crap because the fronts rub on either the bumper or the plastic skid plate, not sure which it is yet.
Likely the junk plastic skid... If you want to keep it, trim off about 2" after the downward bend... or just take it off and put on a steel skid from the bumper to the crash bar...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I put in the 1" Body lift from M.O.R.E and the AEV 2.5 no rubbing issues with my 315/70/17 tires.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I seem to be seeing a lot of threads regarding pinch seam trimming lately. I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned on the forums when I was more active a year ago.

My 33s aren't even close and I don't see my having an issue with 35s. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've been reading a number of threads on the pinch seam issue and the consensus seems to be that it's not a problem with 35s unless they are aired down and stuffed. I'm trying to understand how airing down would induce the problem. When I've aired down the tires bulge out to the sides rather than increase in diameter. I'm haven't "wheeled" enough to know much of anything yet but if someone can explain (or has a picture) of how airing down can cause the pinch seam to cut the tire I think it would help me as well as others understand the importance of trimming the pinch seam.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've been reading a number of threads on the pinch seam issue and the consensus seems to be that it's not a problem with 35s unless they are aired down and stuffed. I'm trying to understand how airing down would induce the problem. When I've aired down the tires bulge out to the sides rather than increase in diameter. I'm haven't "wheeled" enough to know much of anything yet but if someone can explain (or has a picture) of how airing down can cause the pinch seam to cut the tire I think it would help me as well as others understand the importance of trimming the pinch seam.
I cut mine just as a precaution. I have just under 3" of lift and 35s. I would rather take an hour cutting my rails and pinch seam, than to have to buy a new tire. I probably would have never had an issue but, I'm a worrier.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts