Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '14 JKU Sahara that I've been loving and driving since December. There's always plenty of power on tap. I do notice that if I am going at slower speeds and lightly push on the gas to accelerate a little, I can hear what sounds like pinging. If I give it a good push on the throttle, she'll get up and go just fine.

I've tried 93 octane gas, and a few tanks of 91. No real change. Seems to only happen with light throttle push. I don't think it's a problem so much as a concern.

Any ideas ? I'm not a mechanic in any sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine (also a 2014 JKU Sahara) doesn't ping at low speed / light throttle pushes but it does seem to lug a little unless I give it enough boot to make the transmission downshift.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The problem is in your question! You are running 93 and 91 octane fuel in a vehicle that requires 87. Unless you have a tuner, I would recommend going back to 87 before you cause an permanent damage. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline
higher octane will not cause pinging nor will it damage the vehicle in any permanent way. It's just throwing away money if the fuel cannot be used to its full potential. Under light throttle these vehicles run as lean as they can for fuel economy and emissions. It also speeds up the engine getting to temp. A light ping when the vehicle that isn't lugging isn't hurting anything. If it pings going up a hill ect then that is bad. In your owners manual it will discuss ping in these engines.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ever notice on high end cars it shows a min octane or damage will occur? Notice you don't see a maximum octane or damage will occur?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I've only run two tank fulls of 91 and 93. No apparent change. Still pings with light throttle and low speeds.

Again, if I step on it, she'll go just fine. No pinging. Maybe I have a light foot ? Ha !

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ever notice on high end cars it shows a min octane or damage will occur? Notice you don't see a maximum octane or damage will occur?
That's because most don't throw away there money on premium unless they have too. The warning for the higher octane is for the stupid and cheap who think it will be okay if they put 87 in.

And absolutely it can cause long term problems running 93 octane only in a vehicle that requires 87 without a tuner. Maybe not directly to the motor, but to the catalytic convertor, O2sensors which intern can cause it to run rough and poorly and then it's just a tree of other things. I know you all like to think immediate, but I'm talking long term and strictly running the wrong octane the life of the vehicle, not running a tanks here and there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I can see I overlooked the sensors or cats perhaps. I was thinking purely with the motor. The only problems I have seen with octane are the people who go overboard with excessive use of octane boosters ect which would go far above what can be had at the pump. Learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Also something else you all might or might not know and dealerships don't like to disclose is that By Law any and all emission related equipment must be cover under warranty for 8yrs from new.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Pentastar was designed to put out it's rated HP on 87 octane. Chrysler says it only requires 87 octane to do so, not that you must run 87 octane. It's part of their world view of their new Pentastar engine. Light weight, compact, efficient, runs on 87 octane and is easily recycled.

Higher octane fuel simply means the fuel is harder to ignite, so it can be used in higher compression engines under heavier loads. All cars sold in the US must be able to run on 87, but some high performance engines will put out more power on 91. It has nothing to do with the energy in the fuel. It means different valve timing and ignition timing can be set by the computer, without the knock sensors noticing pinging.

91 0ctane will not hurt the engine, and running a tank of it is a good way to see if the sound you are hearing is actually pinging. It might be something else because the 3.6 is designed to run fine on 87.

Some light pinging at part throttle probably won't hurt a thing. It's just a bit lean at some point in it's fuel map, or a bit too much compression, or maybe a dirty injector causing it to be lean.

I think you might run a couple cans of Berrymans through it to see if it improves.

Not that it will help you, but the next generation direct injection engines shouldn't have that problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's because most don't throw away there money on premium unless they have too. The warning for the higher octane is for the stupid and cheap who think it will be okay if they put 87 in.

And absolutely it can cause long term problems running 93 octane only in a vehicle that requires 87 without a tuner. Maybe not directly to the motor, but to the catalytic convertor, O2sensors which intern can cause it to run rough and poorly and then it's just a tree of other things. I know you all like to think immediate, but I'm talking long term and strictly running the wrong octane the life of the vehicle, not running a tanks here and there.
Sorry, but none of that is even close to being true when we're talking about pump gas. Run leaded 110 then you're going to have problems. The ONLY difference in the fuel is its resistance to pre-ignition under compression. It does not burn slower as if often mentioned.

My 2015 has pinged since it was new running 87, but it does go away with 93 if I feel like wasting money.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry, but none of that is even close to being true when we're talking about pump gas. Run leaded 110 then you're going to have problems. The ONLY difference in the fuel is its resistance to pre-ignition under compression. It does not burn slower as if often mentioned.

My 2015 has pinged since it was new running 87, but it does go away with 93 if I feel like wasting money.

Yep. That's it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sorry, but none of that is even close to being true when we're talking about pump gas. Run leaded 110 then you're going to have problems. The ONLY difference in the fuel is its resistance to pre-ignition under compression. It does not burn slower as if often mentioned. My 2015 has pinged since it was new running 87, but it does go away with 93 if I feel like wasting money.
Did you not read my post? Where do I mention that it burns slower? I am saying running the improper octane will harm emissions equipment in long term if the vehicle is not programmed for it.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks for all the responses. I am using the 87 octane fuel, the 91 and 93 was only meant to rule out crap fuel. I don't intend to run anything else but the 87.
I will pay ore attention to how I drive. I think a better push in the throttle will alleviate the pinging / lugging.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
put some of that stp fuel injector cleaner...could be the gas station your using has crappy gas. Try changing gas stations too...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Did you not read my post? Where do I mention that it burns slower? I am saying running the improper octane will harm emissions equipment in long term if the vehicle is not programmed for it.
Ehhh...no, it won't. Ever. Period. 91/93 is just a higher octane rating with "maybe" a different detergent base additive.

You could run unleaded 110 race all day every day in our Jeeps and not hurt a thing. You'd just be wasting $10/gallon on fuel that isn't required.

Now, if you go and fill up with E85 then I feel bad for you son. You'll have 99 problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '14 JKU Sahara that I've been loving and driving since December. There's always plenty of power on tap. I do notice that if I am going at slower speeds and lightly push on the gas to accelerate a little, I can hear what sounds like pinging. If I give it a good push on the throttle, she'll get up and go just fine.

I've tried 93 octane gas, and a few tanks of 91. No real change. Seems to only happen with light throttle push. I don't think it's a problem so much as a concern.

Any ideas ? I'm not a mechanic in any sense.
Automatic or manual transmission?
If manual, maybe what you hear is gear rattle, not pinging. Gear rattle is a common issue in Jeeps with manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ehhh...no, it won't. Ever. Period. 91/93 is just a higher octane rating with "maybe" a different detergent base additive. You could run unleaded 110 race all day every day in our Jeeps and not hurt a thing. You'd just be wasting $10/gallon on fuel that isn't required. Now, if you go and fill up with E85 then I feel bad for you son. You'll have 99 problems.
Yes it will, did you goto school and take automotive technician courses? But I guess that wouldn't matter anyways as Canadian Automoive technician standards and licensing are far superior here then in the US. I guess that's why Canadian Techs are well sought after as well when applying down there. I just spent 10 months in an engines course and my professors would laugh at you all that think it won't harm anything with out being tuned. We had these very discussions with two professors who between them had over 60 years as techs and 15-20 teaching. I'll believe what they say.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts