Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to install a Pioneer 4201NEX (4200 + backup camera) using the Maestro CH1 and Rr. I just taught myself how to solder and am looking forward to finishing the rest, but I am confused on what some of the wiring the from Rr goes to and how to connect the camera to the wiring.

Does anyone have a good installation guide for the wiring? I've got the Maestro and Crutchfield ones, but still need some guidance.

Thanks in advance from Dallas!

·
Registered
787 Posts
The Maestro guide that I received was pretty complete with a full breakdown of where every wire went.

Which wires in particular are you unsure about and I will take a look at mine and see if I can help.

The camera reverse wire will connect to the Maestro harness and you'll need to provide power to the camera either by tapping into the reverse lights (camera will only come on in reverse) or tapping into a full time power source (camera will come on in reverse and can be toggled off and on through the head unit whenever you want)

I highly recommend deleting the Uconnect when you flash the Maestro.

I retained it when I installed mine and I regret it so will be removing the Maestro and reflashing it soon.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'll echo CJREX that the wiring is pretty straight forward. I got mine from crutchfield so they were helpful.

I do remember a green plug and white plug that were already connected. I'm going off memory here but I thing you reverse the two if you don't have the factory amp installed. I didn't and my sound from bluetooth would only come out in the rear speakers. I reversed the plugs and all was fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Crutchfield today and the Maestro Rr came with 4 extra harnesses that I don't need. Without those it makes a lot more sense! Thanks for the help.

Reactions: CJREX

·
Registered
787 Posts
Why do you regret keeping the uconnect?
I listen to local music from an iPod.

Connected directly to the Pioneer it is fast, fluid, and very responsive.

Connected through Uconnect it is slow, buggy, and almost to the point of being unusable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got everything running except a few things. Any help is appreciated.

1. When I place calls it rings once and then there is no sound.
2. I want to connect the radio to the USB port in the center console. I've ordered the cable for this but am not sure where to connect it. Someone sent a picture but I'm not able to find this in my Jeep.
3. The bottom of the unit isn't flush. I probably just need to open it back up and rearrange the wiring.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured out #1. Searched online for awhile and one recommendation was to restart the iPhone after connecting CarPlay and this worked!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Got everything running except a few things. Any help is appreciated.

1. When I place calls it rings once and then there is no sound.
2. I want to connect the radio to the USB port in the center console. I've ordered the cable for this but am not sure where to connect it. Someone sent a picture but I'm not able to find this in my Jeep.
3. The bottom of the unit isn't flush. I probably just need to open it back up and rearrange the wiring.
This video should help you. The USB cable gets connected to the Uconnect module behind the AC controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIO8p_sOLKU&t=339s

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is reverse wire necessary? Purple white.

Can anyone tell me if you need to connect the Reverse wire to get the backup camera to work with ... well when in reverse?

See attached and I ask as I've not seen this on any other forum posts nor on install videos.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Can anyone tell me if you need to connect the Reverse wire to get the backup camera to work with ... well when in reverse?

See attached and I ask as I've not seen this on any other forum posts nor on install videos.
Yes.
It must be connected for the camera to (automatically) kick on when shifting into reverse.

You don't have to connect it if you simply want to control the camera manually, but you won't get the guide lines.

BTW...
I had a look at that total jumble of wires under the kick plate as they describe, and I said forget it, when I did my install. There's about 50 wires in that bundle and absolutely no space to work in! I figured splicing into a wire (safely) in that little corner might take me an hour.... if i'm lucky!

I simply ran a wire back to the reverse light. It took 10 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts