Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buy the pioneer avh-x5500 head unit. What's everyone's thoughts on this stereo.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It was an absolute nightmare to install. The dash had to be modded for it, and it still came out bad. Navigating these things is a PAIN. The restive touch screen is piss poor.

Never again.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Mighty inviting for thieves, make sure you bolt it in there good. Amazon reviews look pretty good though. Pioneer has a strong reputation, it is probably a great head unit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The display on them sucks in sunlight....you get complete washout. With exception of the display I like all the new Pioneer dvd-x units but that would stop me from buying another. I only have the x1500 in my TDI but they have the same display problem.....if you decide to go that route try to get a mount that will tilt the screen slightly to help you see it during the daytime.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 5500 has the tilt option. I had a pioneer before and loved it. Would like to get another. Want to know how easy it is to install.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
never owned or dealt with that peticular model, but i did own a F series double din nav/dvd/ipod,hd radio unit in my evo. i'm definetly a pioneer product user and you can't really go wrong with their products.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Looking into buy the pioneer avh-x5500 head unit. What's everyone's thoughts on this stereo.
Save a few more bucks and buy the 8500, I paid $550 for mine. The face comes off so it won't get stolen. It fits perfectly and is not a nightmare to install. You do need to remove the back bracket that holds the stock radio and you need to trim the inner plastic top edge about an 1/8" that the top of the Pioneer rests up against. I used a dermal. Not the outer dash bezel that you can see but the one inside the dash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not really worried about it getting stolen. I won't have it open for ppl to see much. And I park in a garage.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
People who say it will get stolen clearly think it is the 1990s where you could stick four wires in a stereo and pull it out. Your average thief won't know where to start when removing a wrangler stereo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure you purchase the Pioneer unit from an "authorized dealer" otherwise there is no warranty! Go to their website for more info!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's what everyone says that gets their stereo stolen. Haha. Good luck.
Car stereos just don't get stolen anymore. Even the aftermarket ones have security in them that disable them when they get jerked out of a dash. There is no market for them. Besides, the thieves are far more interested in that, laptop, iPad, iPod, iPhone, navigation device, or gym bag in your car that might contain any one of these devices.

This article was written in 2009 and I am sure car stereo theft is down even more since then.

Car Stereo Theft: A Dying Crime : NPR

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can comment on this head unit because I have it in my Jeep.

My install with Crutchfield kit has three problems plus a maybe problem:

1.) support bracket on the back side needs to be cut or modified. I just cut mine with a dremel - it comes out completely with two screws so if ever needed to go back to stock, I hope it isn't too expensive. I use a large zip strap to provide support back there. This is likely to be a problem with any double-din since the stock head units are something like 1/8th of an inch shy of double din height in the back.
2.) the dash adapter that Crutchfield supplied last summer is a poor fit - it has to be twisted slightly in order for the holes to line up. I don't look too closely at it when the trim is back in place because if I did, it would annoy me.
3.) I have had two problems with the PAC RC4-CH11 (steeringwheel/canbus adapter/wiring harness) - A.) the firmware I got on mine has a known bug where it doesn't correctly assert reverse light, which means my backup camera is manual control only, not driven by putting the transmission in reverse, and B.) I've had a few instances of the steeringwheel controls getting stuck repeating the same button press until I powered off the Jeep.

And my maybe problem: I've never gotten good Sirius reception no matter where I put the antenna. This might be something I have to blame myself for - it is possible I pinched the antenna cable.

Another problem I just remembered, which could be my fault, but I blame the adapters that came from Crutchfield - the soundbar speakers (Polk db651) never really fit right, and one of them is loose now and rattles.

As for function of the head unit itself - I'm happy with it. I haven't had real problems with screen washout in the sun. The touchscreen isn't quite up to par with modern phones, but it works fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts