Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second Pioneer nav unit. The first was a Pioneer AVIC D3 I bought from Crutchfield in 2008. I installed this into my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the 7 speaker Infinity system. I used the iDatalink Maestro RR kit in order to keep my steering wheel controls. The installation was straight forward. I called Crutchfield a couple of times with questions about some extra wires that didn't match up with the iDatalink wiring harness.

The sound on the head unit is superb. My Jeep has a factory power sub and it sounds great. The iDatalink works flawlessly. Much easier than any other adaptor I've used. There are a few customizable features on the stereo that are nice. You can set the color of the buttons to match your vehicles interior lights. If you install a rear camera you can even adjust the warning lines that show up on the monitor.

I just got the adaptor to run Appradio and so far, nothing. I need to look at the manual closely to figure this out. I'm afraid I wasted $60 for something that may be completely useless. When the back up camera comes on it says "Image may be reversed". Well mine is reversed, there should be a way to mirror the image.

One thing different I did was to mount the microphone beside the stereo. I never liked using the double sided tape and those little brackets for the mics. You can see the mic to the left side of the stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice install. Did you know that after Pioneer releases the update for the NEX radios (mid-Summer) you will be able to connect to the Maestro serially and retain your uConnect system (if you had it)? There will also be more SW button options you can choose from. Just update your radio, reflash your Maestro RR. You will need the keep the 4 pin data cable and 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable until then as you will need it after.

What wires did not match up in guide? Would like to correct it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Subscribed. Want to hear your experience with App Mode before I pay for all the cables.

Also, love how you mounted the mic. How well does it pickup your voice?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice install. Did you know that after Pioneer releases the update for the NEX radios (mid-Summer) you will be able to connect to the Maestro serially and retain your uConnect system (if you had it)? There will also be more SW button options you can choose from. Just update your radio, reflash your Maestro RR. You will need the keep the 4 pin data cable and 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable until then as you will need it after.

Cheers,
I'm trying to remember, I believe one of them was the mute wire, which the Crutchfield guy said to not bother with. Mute works fine.

I did hear that there will be a software update in the summer. I'm looking forward to getting that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subscribed. Want to hear your experience with App Mode before I pay for all the cables.

Also, love how you mounted the mic. How well does it pickup your voice?

I pulled those $60 Appradio cables out today and I am sending them back. 1. There are only a hand full of apps they even work with. 2. I was going to have to order a 5 pin to 11 pin adaptor for my Galaxy S5 that might make it work. They couldn't tell me for sure. They did know that the S4 needed one. I'm going to go with the $30 Mirrorlink cable instead.

The mic picks up great!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to have all the bugs worked out that I can. I wish I'd gotten different cameras. I have one on the back for obvious reasons and the image is reversed. The last Pioneer I had gave you the option of mirroring the image, this one doesn't. This head unit has a second camera input that you can activate at anytime. I'm planning on mounting the camera underneath the front end for parking and off road use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pulled those $60 Appradio cables out today and I am sending them back. 1. There are only a hand full of apps they even work with. 2. I was going to have to order a 5 pin to 11 pin adaptor for my Galaxy S5 that might make it work. They couldn't tell me for sure. They did know that the S4 needed one. I'm going to go with the $30 Mirrorlink cable instead. The mic picks up great!
Thanks, kind of thought it wasn't worth the cost. I will be interested to see if the summer update changes that, as I think it will add car iOS capabilities.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have used my 8 yr old 30gig iPod on my old Pioneer AVIC D3, a Kenwood in dash and with my factory Jeep stereo without any problems. When I used it with this system and shut the Jeep off and came back later and started it up it would go back to the very first song on the iPod. After some research I found out the the stereo doesn't really support the old iPods. Recently my daughter replaced her iPhone 4 so I wiped it and am using it as a stand alone iPod. It is working great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I pulled those $60 Appradio cables out today and I am sending them back. 1. There are only a hand full of apps they even work with. 2. I was going to have to order a 5 pin to 11 pin adaptor for my Galaxy S5 that might make it work. They couldn't tell me for sure. They did know that the S4 needed one. I'm going to go with the $30 Mirrorlink cable instead.

The mic picks up great!
MirrorLink is very restrictive as well. I attended classroom training for Pioneer last week, and it was explained that you only get an icon on the radio for phone, navigation, and music. I would hate it, and I don't intend to talk about it with customers as so few phones in the US are MirrorLink compatible.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I discovered another reason to love this Pioneer. I was setting up a profile on the GPS and it allows you to select a particular icon for the screen. Now if I can just make it red.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just installed the AVIC-8000NEX and am trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the radio, but loving it so far! Looks like you have figured out more than me. I have an Alpine camera with the Alpine license plate kit attached to my rear tire and it works great, but living on a dirt road I get a spotty night shot, but great daytime picture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok two things...one my soft top won't seal completely at the front so after I get up to a certain speed it whistles from hell...any way to stop the whistle or do I need to just deal with it? Two my back tire swing arm will rAndomly open while riding on the highway...any thing I can do?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok two things...one my soft top won't seal completely at the front so after I get up to a certain speed it whistles from hell...any way to stop the whistle or do I need to just deal with it? Two my back tire swing arm will rAndomly open while riding on the highway...any thing I can do?

Oh, I thought you had a stereo specific question. You'll have better luck if you post these questions under the forum for your specific model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any help will be much appreciated….

I just purchased the avic-6000nex for my 2009 Sahara and I wanted to see if you could give me a run down on all the extra parts that I need to do the install.

I do have the OEM Infinity system but I am taking the whole thing out to go with aftermarket stuff.
So far I have 6.75" Rockford Fosgate components for the dash and coaxials for the sound bar. I have one Pioneer dvc sub and the 2 amps to push all of it.
I have the PAC C2R CHY4 and also the dash mount (Metra 95-6511)

I saw on Crutchfield that I need a Motorola Antenna Cable
18" Male-to-Female extension and a Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter.
Did you need these for your install?

I just want to make sure I have everything before I pull the dash apart.
Thanks in advance.

This is my second Pioneer nav unit. The first was a Pioneer AVIC D3 I bought from Crutchfield in 2008. I installed this into my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the 7 speaker Infinity system. I used the iDatalink Maestro RR kit in order to keep my steering wheel controls. The installation was straight forward. I called Crutchfield a couple of times with questions about some extra wires that didn't match up with the iDatalink wiring harness.

The sound on the head unit is superb. My Jeep has a factory power sub and it sounds great. The iDatalink works flawlessly. Much easier than any other adaptor I've used. There are a few customizable features on the stereo that are nice. You can set the color of the buttons to match your vehicles interior lights. If you install a rear camera you can even adjust the warning lines that show up on the monitor.

I just got the adaptor to run Appradio and so far, nothing. I need to look at the manual closely to figure this out. I'm afraid I wasted $60 for something that may be completely useless. When the back up camera comes on it says "Image may be reversed". Well mine is reversed, there should be a way to mirror the image.

One thing different I did was to mount the microphone beside the stereo. I never liked using the double sided tape and those little brackets for the mics. You can see the mic to the left side of the stereo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes you will need those antenna adapters. You will also need the adapter for your stereo to fit the existing opening in your dash as well as the cable/harness the will connect your stereo to the factory Jeep harness. Optional, but recommended is the adapter to retain your steering wheel audio controls.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just installed the AVIC-8000NEX and am trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the radio, but loving it so far! Looks like you have figured out more than me. I have an Alpine camera with the Alpine license plate kit attached to my rear tire and it works great, but living on a dirt road I get a spotty night shot, but great daytime picture.
Was thinking about installing this unit into my 2014 Sahara. Do you have to modify the dash to get it in there? Would you have any pictures of your install?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Cheers,
Sorry, I am not that great with all the new stereo stuff but does this update mean that you won't need an adapter for all the uconnect stuff???

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was thinking about installing this unit into my 2014 Sahara. Do you have to modify the dash to get it in there? Would you have any pictures of your install?
I'll have to see if I have any pics. I wouldn't think that there would be any differences in the 2012 and 2014 dashes. The only mod, if you call it that, would be that you have to remove a metal bracket once you get the OEM stereo out. I think it was just 2 screws holding it in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts