Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just could not take it anymore. The stock 130n radio is appallingly bad. I know some folks on here says it's not that bad, but they are wrong. It is easily the worst audio system on any car over 35k.
Bluetooth audio attenuation is like 30dB so you have crank it to max just to hear it.
So, this week I got and installed the 7100nex from crutchfield.
Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Overall, the unit is pretty good. It did take a couple calls to support and I did eventually give up on trying to get uconnect working properly and just went with the pioneer Bluetooth. I would recommend this to others as well.

There are a couple of pretty annoying things.

You can use mirrorlink, OR android auto, but not both.

I like to listen to Pandora over bluetooth. If you plug in your phone to USB 2 (must use USB 2 for Android auto or Mirrorlink) it is no longer possible to use the head units mirroring pandora app via bluetooth.
Instead, you need to run Pandora on you phone and the audio is played as audio over USB2. This doesnt carry any embedded info about the song like the pandora app over Bluetooth does. So, if you want to use Pandora AND charge then take a different port.

Also, its not possible to keep the USB port in the center console box.

The worst thing though is that this head unit really makes you aware of how completely crap the stock speakers are. So, I will have to buy new speakers as well. So muddy.

Android auto is really lacking. Its a bit cool for the basic stuff, but you cant listen to pandora using AA. There seems to be only "google play music, which sucks. Basically you cant use any normal android apps.
The voice search works well though. The contextual searching is also pretty good.

The navigation is HERE maps and seems pretty good. Though, it was about 1/4 mile off on my house.
It's the the actual navigation though since I tried google maps with Android auto and it was spot on.

I ran the cable for the back up cam, but didnt install it so far.
My wife wants me to install park distance sensors for her, but this is not supported by the unit, so I will skip it.

All and all, I am happy, but android auto and car play are really in the early stages and need major dev work. Plus, now I need to figure out which speakers to buy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
All and all, I am happy, but android auto and car play are really in the early stages and need major dev work.
Been looking recently and this is the exact same thought that I was having re Android Auto & Car Play - great ideas for the moment, but need more refinement to fully integrate the phone with the car (which is what I am after)

Thanks for your review!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pablo...

I have a Pioneer 4000NEX in my jeep. It came with a AVIC Z1 unit when I purchased the jeep from the previous owner...my jeep also has the Infinity "Premium" sound. I was able to reuse the steering wheel control interface and the wiring interface from the Z1, so my install was pretty easy.

I'm not a fan of Apple Car Play at this point - but the bluetooth is pretty damn amazing. Phone calls are decent and Pandora is excellent.

I also agree - the speakers are complete crap.

I did a lot of research - and without getting into replacing everything and rewiring everything, I came across several threads about the tweeter mod, some very nice Infinity reference speakers for the sound bar and an pioneer sub. I have to say - it's incredible the difference it made doing these upgrades...and I didn't spend a ton of cash. If you have the premium system already - search for the "tweeter mod" and "subwoofer mod" thread - you'll be amazed.

take care,
eric

·
Registered
761 Posts
You can use the USB in the center console. The cable terminates behind the climate controls so you will need a mini USB adapter and extension cable to run to the back of your head unit. You can easily buy both the adapter and cable on Amazon.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm curious as the pandora issue you are having. One of the bullet point features of android auto is having the info displayed on the screen. You can see in this picture that pandora is running and passing on the info to the head unit.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...progressive,q_80,w_636/784270611183131683.jpg
What phone are you using and what version of android? Have you checked if there is an update for pandora? I'm considering the 4100 or the 5100 model so if there really is an issue I may hold out a bit until they get resolved.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I went with the 4000NEX and I ♥ it. I think it's pretty danged awesome. :D

I had already swapped all my speakers out to Polks (db651/6501s) last year, so when we installed the head unit after Christmas, all we had to do was change the wiring to decent stuff. I added an inexpensive amp and I have the sub, but it's not installed yet, waiting on time to build the box. I also have the back up camera all set up, just not installed until I can figure out where I want it and how to mount it.

CarPlay isn't perfect, but for me it's perfectly useable. I love the on screen maps and the ability to have it read me my texts and reply while I'm driving. The limitations of Siri being able to understand the language is the same as if you were not using CarPlay, so that's just a limitation of Siri itself. I don't use the streaming music services, so I can't comment on them, but being able to use my own playlists is great.

Every once in a while I will get a glitch when I plug my phone in, but I think that's more a by-product of me plugging in in a hurry and not getting it fully seated. I'm fine with one out of thirty uses having to unplug and reconnect. Hopefully they will have some more software updates soon!

One thing about the NEX radios I'm not sure everybody knows... If you are running a backup camera and the latest software (from November, I think), you can use the backup camera as a true backup camera, or there is ALSO an option to use the backup camera as a rear view monitor. Meaning you can actually turn on the camera and have it STAY ON, all the time, not just in reverse. I think that will be great for those times when we are pulling the trailer or even if you're going on a long trip and want to keep an eye on how close people are riding your bumper. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it made a difference in anyone's choice.

All in all, I am super happy with it. :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went with the 4000NEX and I ♥ it. I think it's pretty danged awesome. :D

I had already swapped all my speakers out to Polks (db651/6501s) last year, so when we installed the head unit after Christmas, all we had to do was change the wiring to decent stuff. I added an inexpensive amp and I have the sub, but it's not installed yet, waiting on time to build the box. I also have the back up camera all set up, just not installed until I can figure out where I want it and how to mount it.

CarPlay isn't perfect, but for me it's perfectly useable. I love the on screen maps and the ability to have it read me my texts and reply while I'm driving. The limitations of Siri being able to understand the language is the same as if you were not using CarPlay, so that's just a limitation of Siri itself. I don't use the streaming music services, so I can't comment on them, but being able to use my own playlists is great.

Every once in a while I will get a glitch when I plug my phone in, but I think that's more a by-product of me plugging in in a hurry and not getting it fully seated. I'm fine with one out of thirty uses having to unplug and reconnect. Hopefully they will have some more software updates soon!

One thing about the NEX radios I'm not sure everybody knows... If you are running a backup camera and the latest software (from November, I think), you can use the backup camera as a true backup camera, or there is ALSO an option to use the backup camera as a rear view monitor. Meaning you can actually turn on the camera and have it STAY ON, all the time, not just in reverse. I think that will be great for those times when we are pulling the trailer or even if you're going on a long trip and want to keep an eye on how close people are riding your bumper. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it made a difference in anyone's choice.

All in all, I am super happy with it. :)
I was actually going to post in your build thread and see if you had any additional thoughts on it now that you've had it for a while so thanks for the update. The 4100 is available now so I'm seriously considering one. Android auto is the main feature I'm after so I would love to hear an update from the OP if he gets pandora working. You should be able to select it in addition to the google play music app and have all the info and controls on the screen.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I was actually going to post in your build thread and see if you had any additional thoughts on it now that you've had it for a while so thanks for the update. The 4100 is available now so I'm seriously considering one. Android auto is the main feature I'm after so I would love to hear an update from the OP if he gets pandora working. You should be able to select it in addition to the google play music app and have all the info and controls on the screen.
I wonder if the 100 on the end actually signifies something, or if it is the EXACT same radio with CarPlay installed from the factory, rather than downloaded and upgraded like I had to do. Have you heard about any other differences?

One of these days we will run out of exciting new toys to play with and make it back to finishing up the sub/camera. LOL

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am looking at almost EXACTLY the same radio for an upgrade. I've already fallen in love with the steering wheel controls but I'm dying to use Android Auto (I'm a mobile developer).

Question, does all the steering wheel controls work with the NEX radio systems?

I've been able to:

• Make Calls
  • Adjust Volume
  • Change modes
  • Skip tracks

Can you still use those with the pioneer radio?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I am looking at almost EXACTLY the same radio for an upgrade. I've already fallen in love with the steering wheel controls but I'm dying to use Android Auto (I'm a mobile developer).

Question, does all the steering wheel controls work with the NEX radio systems?

I've been able to:

• Make Calls
  • Adjust Volume
  • Change modes
  • Skip tracks

Can you still use those with the pioneer radio?
As long as you get the correct harness for the head unit, yes. I got one of the PACs. Can't remember the model number. I can try to find it, if you want.

·
Registered
568 Posts
As long as you get the correct harness for the head unit, yes. I got one of the PACs. Can't remember the model number. I can try to find it, if you want.
Assuming it's: Rp4ch11 ?

Also, were you able to re-use the microphone that's already included with the Connectivity Group package? Or do you have to use a new one?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same base radio and I am looking at doing a similar install in my 15 JKUR. Where you using the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter when trying to get the uconnect system working with the Pioneer? They mention you can retain uconnect with their adapter but your experience may sway me in a different direction if you used their adapter. I would be interested in what adapter you used and brand of faceplate/mount.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wonder if the 100 on the end actually signifies something, or if it is the EXACT same radio with CarPlay installed from the factory, rather than downloaded and upgraded like I had to do. Have you heard about any other differences?

One of these days we will run out of exciting new toys to play with and make it back to finishing up the sub/camera. LOL
The 4100 is the new year model of the 4000. As far as I know it is essentially the same head unit except the 4100 adds android auto in addition to car play. I don't think the update is necessary for the new models.
Also curious what you do with the sub. I'll be building a custom box when I get to it but I haven't decided on placement yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered a '15 Hard Rock which has upgraded speakers (Alpine?). Does anyone have any listening experience with the upgraded speakers? I'm going to replace the factory radio with the Pioneer AVIC series, not sure which series. Any advice?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
The 4100 is the new year model of the 4000. As far as I know it is essentially the same head unit except the 4100 adds android auto in addition to car play. I don't think the update is necessary for the new models.
Also curious what you do with the sub. I'll be building a custom box when I get to it but I haven't decided on placement yet.
I told Mike I didn't want to lose the cargo space, so he specifically got me an 8". With the extra inch underneath the back seat I got from installing the rear seat spacers, we are going to build a box and put it under the back seat. I won't be able to put the seats all the way to the floor, but that's an acceptable compromise for me to save space for loading groceries and stuff in the back and NOT having a sub box back there.

Maybe once all the gremlins have flown the coop I'll look at changing the sub to a full box then, but for now ...it is what it is. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm going to throw this out there. I have a avic8000nex. Love the unit, hate apple CarPlay. I found in the settings that you can turn carplay off and will let you run an iPhone as a regular music player and still let you Bluetooth phone calls while plugged in.
-sass

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I'm going to throw this out there. I have a avic8000nex. Love the unit, hate apple CarPlay. I found in the settings that you can turn carplay off and will let you run an iPhone as a regular music player and still let you Bluetooth phone calls while plugged in.
-sass
You can absolutely run the NEX radios withOUT CarPlay. I prefer the carplay feature to use the screen for navigation and the texting features.

I think it's awesome that it can work both ways, so everyone can get what they want.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can absolutely run the NEX radios withOUT CarPlay. I prefer the carplay feature to use the screen for navigation and the texting features.

I think it's awesome that it can work both ways, so everyone can get what they want.
I absolutely agree with you:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can use the USB in the center console. The cable terminates behind the climate controls so you will need a mini USB adapter and extension cable to run to the back of your head unit. You can easily buy both the adapter and cable on Amazon.
Thanks for the tip. I will try it out.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts