Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my issue, dropped the oil pan the other day to change the rod bearings due to new knocking noise in lower end. After changing the first couple I go to move the oil pan out of my way and find a few pieces of the skirt from the number one piston laying in it. So now I need to get that piston out and replace it. Since I am in the process of building a stroker I am only looking for a bandaid on my current motor. So the question I have is can I get this piston out and back in from the bottom without removing the crank? Has anyone tried this or have any tricks? Any input would be much appreciated thanks...:)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
It's been many many years since I had an engine apart but I would be surprised if you can get the piston out from the bottom.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Have to agree, even if you could get the piston out, I have no idea how you would be able to keep the rings compressed to get a new piston back in.

As the Queen of Hearts would say "Off with the head!"

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ 4.0 Automatic with about a four inch lift, 35x12.50x15 Hercules tires
70 Posts
I agree with Shelby, I don’t know how you would keep the rings compressed.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
How long before the stroker can be finished?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the exact same issue on my TJ. I pulled the head and the pan, then replaced the piston from the top. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that bad. It took me longer to do plugs and PVC on a 3.6 JK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts