Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an 89 YJ it has a 4 inch suspension lift, but the previous owner took one leaf out of each stack so it sits a little lower than it otherwise would. It has the drop pitman arm that came with the lift in it. My question is this, is there any potential problem from running the pitman arm intended for a 4 inch lift in a truck that is only lifted about 2 or 3 inches? Thanks

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,916 Posts
I had a 4" lift arm on the 2.5" lift when I bought mine. It ran the draglink too parallel to the tie rod which made them bump off each other causing both to wear down a little. I replaced the entire steering gear and went to a shorter arm. See Pic.

You can get a loaner arm puller from your local auto parts store, and pick up a 2.5 to 3" lift arm for around $20 online. The stock arm is too steep of an angle to use

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Before we go changing anything let's see some pics.... might not be anything wrong with it at all

·
Registered
629 Posts
kc9ljo, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
When i bought my 4" lift back in the late 90's they sold me a drop pit-man arm with the kit. I put the lift kit on and never did put the drop pitman arm on and i never noticed any steering issues. The drop pitman was not even much lower than the factory pitman arm they aren't needed IMO.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Unless your Jeep is set up SOA (spring over axle), taking a leaf out of the leaf pack will not have any effect on the height of your lift.

All it will do is soften the ride of the Jeep and lower the load rating of the springs.

But I'll answer your question assuming you have a 3"-3.5" lift. A drop pitman arm can cause clearance issues with the drag link hitting the tie rod or steering stabilizer, if it is too much of a drop. Definitely post pictures of your current steering angles so we can see if you even have an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
I'll get a pic tomorrow, as stated above the draglink on mine does run pretty close to the tie rod but I don't think they ever come into contact. I once put a 4 inch lift in a square body chevy half ton and left the stock pitman arm in it, and it seemed to limit my steering radius. So if that's the case, I wonder if my YJ would turn sharper in this configuration? So I guess I have a few options. (1) I could leave it as is. (2) Put the leafs back in. (3) change the pitman arm to one intended for say a 2.5 lift. So far I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
All that a drop pitman arm would do is correct bump steer and place less wear on the tie rod ends. Wouldn't effect the turning radius.

The only time a drop pitman arm WOULD effect the turning radius is on vehicles such as XJs. Y link steering (where a single tie rod connects the two knuckles) has the toe set in at the tie rod already. If you have XJ style steering, a drop pitman arm would toe the wheels outwards, causing dull steering response and slightly limited turning radius.

I would recommend leaving the drop pitman arm in. Your steering angles look good. Make sure it clearances the stabilizer on full lock turns though. Looks a little tight.

I'd also recommend putting a leaf back in the pack. It'll ride stiffer but you'll have more of a carrying capacity.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,916 Posts
Note the scrape (white mark) directly below the pitman arm on your Tie Rod. Check it out closer, Mine had some evidence of wear from the arm hitting the tie rod when the springs were compressed. I can't tell from your pic, but you should check it out and make your own call.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do see the evidence of rubbing. I believe I'm going to go ahead and put the leaves back in. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You have a drop pitman AND a track bar relocation bracket.... to remove one requires removing both....
Personally I'd keep em..... make sure the bolt holding the track bar bracket stays tight...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts