Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been installing a RC 4 kit on my YJ .
When I got off the next step was pitman arm replacement. I have been at it for almost 5 hours . I soaked it down with PB last night and numerous times since . I have heated it before every attempt. I've made 2 trips to town and bought 2 different pullers . The 1st from advanced auto snapped an arm . The second was from auto zone . Now it's starting to bend at the tabs as well . Both are made from pot metal . Which is so stupid imo . Im stuck and have to give up for the night having gotten nowhere today . Any suggestions as to where to get a more stout puller or any hints ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I had to cut mine, scored a nice notch with the grinder, then gave it a couple tapps with a chisel to split the old pitman and used a fork to pry it off, and it's just as frustrating to install the new one.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
put the puller on pretty tight spray it with blaster let sit over night. Retighten and spray again in the morning.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have to do this also -_- but I gotta with a soa lol

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
cut off tool and 5 mins.. two cuts opposite/spaced apart as much as you can from each other, do shallow cuts and check depth often as you don't want to mess up threads on PS shaft. then clean up threads on PS and brush clean pitman arm threads before you put it on.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
cut off tool and 5 mins.. two cuts opposite/spaced apart as much as you can from each other, do shallow cuts and check depth often as you don't want to mess up threads on PS shaft. then clean up threads on PS and brush clean pitman arm threads before you put it on.
exactly...cut 180 degrees apart down as close as you can to the splines without cutting into them..take a big chisel and big hammer and knock the hell out of it in a direction as if you were trying to unscrew it

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
We broke a pitman arm puller, it shot a bolt across the room like a frikin bullet. Thankfully no one was hit.

Ended up using a new puller and a LOT of heat from an aceteline torch. Had to be almost red hot to finally break free on us...

As well, 50 miles after my lift my steering felt sloppy. The new one wiggled on the splines. I had to pull the nut off, add a big washer and re-torque it. Been good ever since... just something to check awhile after install. It would actually rock back and forth on the splines when moving the steering wheel left to right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've never had one NOT come off when using the Snap-On puller. Tighten it up, then hit the shaft of the puller with a BFH. Repeat until the arm comes off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the posts a combination of all of these helped alot . It finally came off in one very anti climatic small "pop"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts