Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get the pitman arm nut off. i have sprayed p.b. blaster for a week. i have added heat to it and I need some advise. :dance:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just finished swapping out a Pittman arm on my buddies tahoe...I ended up taking out the whole steering box and putting it in a vice. Don't know if this is an option for you, but it worked for me in a similar situation!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heavy duty breaker bar and a piece of pipe to remove the nut. Make sure you get a heavy duty pitman arm puller to pull it off. Mine was extremely hard to get off. I broke one small puller used lots of pb blaster, heat and beat the crap out of it for two days. I didn't think I was getting it off. That was the hardest part about doing my lift. Good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
Shock it like an impact does. I like to put a breaker bar on things like that and pull it hard by hand and then hit the end of the bar with a 5lb hammer. The shock combined with the constant torque will knock it loose without breaking anything. I use this method for axle nuts mostly, but have done a pitman before as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can get a can of that keyboard air duster turn it upside down blast the nut for a good 20-30 seconds then heat it with a torch and keep doing it over and over, the only downside to that is your nut will disentigrade.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The nut will be a combination of heat, long breaker bars, hammers, and more pb blaster than you can shake a stick at. When you go to pull the arm off a good trick is to put tension on the puller then hit it with a hammer. Use the strike of the hammer, not the puller to make it slide off

·
Registered
523 Posts
97wrangler-242 said:
The nut will be a combination of heat, long breaker bars, hammers, and more pb blaster than you can shake a stick at. When you go to pull the arm off a good trick is to put tension on the puller then hit it with a hammer. Use the strike of the hammer, not the puller to make it slide off
X2 its saves your bushing

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
3/4 inch socket set and long a$# breaker bar. Heat is a must. If the pitman aarm is as bad as the nut get an angle grinder and make a relief cut in the outer area stop before you cut into the steering gear shaft. It will help when you use a puller to remove it. Mine I cut it off after two days of foolishness.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
waynowat53 said:
I cant get the pitman arm nut off. i have sprayed p.b. blaster for a week. i have added heat to it and I need some advise. :dance:
Are you going to re-use it? If not, cut it off with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder.

·
Registered
507 Posts
JPi1 said:
Are you going to re-use it? If not, cut it off with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder.
This would be my advice as well.... Even if you were planning on re-using it, you may consider cutting it off and replacing it just to keep yourself sane.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same problem, and here was my quick solution. Chock the wheels. Lock the steering wheel, and use a heavy pipe wrench, and (no laughing) put your feet on the bumper and pull hard. I was lucky in the it did not destroy my pitman arm nut, however a slip of the hand in the "feet on the bumper" could destroy another...uhm...similar named object.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
cut the nut with a die grinder,cutoff wheel or whatever you have almost to the threads..go to the opposite side ( 180 degrees ) and do the same thing..now take a chisel and hammer and knock the hell out of it in the direction as if you were trying to unscrew it..it will come apart

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
harleydragon said:
cut the nut with a die grinder,cutoff wheel or whatever you have almost to the threads..go to the opposite side ( 180 degrees ) and do the same thing..now take a chisel and hammer and knock the hell out of it in the direction as if you were trying to unscrew it..it will come apart
Exactly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got mine off today. Used the Pitman arm puller.. $17.99. Electric Impact wrench $59.98....metric impact sockets set of 11 $29.99 ( for puller). It took about 20 seconds.....not counting the 3 days I've been trying everything until I found it on YouTube . I was getting ready to cut it off too but the cheapest replacement I saw online was $57. For a little more I got some new tools I can use. Impact wrench....right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Easy removal of pitman arm!

When I did my lift we got the nut off ok, but the pitman arm wouldn't budge even with a well stocked tool bin, But since I dont plan to go back to the stock suspension, we just cut a relief groove in the arm with a cut wheel gave a couple taps with the 5# hammer and it was easy to pull off.

Just be sure to retighten things a few times after you bounce it around a bit,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts