Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am replacing the steering box in my 94, and all the steering.
Is it necessary to replace the Pittman arm? Does the arm wear out? It looks to be all metal without any bushings, so Unless it strips, I think it would be good?
should i replace that too?

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
There is no reason to replace it unless you need a drop pitman arm due to lift or you have to cut the old one off due to rust.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi, I am replacing the steering box in my 94, and all the steering.
Is it necessary to replace the Pittman arm? Does the arm wear out? It looks to be all metal without any bushings, so Unless it strips, I think it would be good?
should i replace that too?
If you are replacing with a reman. or upgraded OEM box, it will in all probability come without a pitman. If you are replacing with a used one, make sure the pitman is correct for your application, and if not, just swap your current one. Keep in mind lifted applications need a dropped (longer) pitman.

A pitman is not a wear item under NORMAL circumstances. If it gets loose on the sector or the drag link gets loose in the taper, that is when you need to be concerned with wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts