Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I don't have a torch, my cheap Harbor Frieght $10.00 puller won't work did a little bit before the stock pitman that's been on since factory and frozen busted it, so hopefully my father in-law's Snap-on puller will work , or I'm just gonna cut it off

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
When you attack with the die grinder make a relief cut in the metal whcih is almost alll the way through. Then reinstall the puller and see what happens. You don't want to cut into the steering box shaft and screw it up. It is easily done believe me I did it just a little and got lucky. But yeah cut to the chase and grind that thing off. I worked mine for three days and then cut it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yep! Break out the angle grinder with a cutting wheel, that's the best way I've found. I used to use my 3 inch air cutoff wheel but the electric 4 1/2 is the way to go, I zipped through the pitman arm in less than 10 seconds after a full day of messing with pullers that broke, torches, breaker bars, impact etc

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I usually cut them in 2 places,180 out from each other almost to the shaft splines..then take a big chisel and hammer and knock the hell out of it..I am a fan of the 4 1/2 inch grinder with 5 inch cutting wheel too

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
A good pickle fork will get it off easily. Puller as last resort. No reason to cut it though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Carralo1 said:
Yep! Break out the angle grinder with a cutting wheel, that's the best way I've found. I used to use my 3 inch air cutoff wheel but the electric 4 1/2 is the way to go, I zipped through the pitman arm in less than 10 seconds after a full day of messing with pullers that broke, torches, breaker bars, impact etc
That is my profile pic. Lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
OverkillYJ said:
A good pickle fork will get it off easily. Puller as last resort. No reason to cut it though.
I couldn't find a fork to fit it. :-(

431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I will be cutting it off have no choice iT's frozen on , I was even crazy and thinking just go a head and buy a new power steering box , but I goons give the Pitman some of my Pitman arm and have fun doing it but being careful not to damage the steering box shaft, I already am Just Empty Every Pocket , but that What I love about my first Jeep building it , I could have took the easy way out and Paid some shop to do it but , no way in hell! If your with me, thanks guys for your advice,

Attachments

431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
harleydragon said:
I usually cut them in 2 places,180 out from each other almost to the shaft splines..then take a big chisel and hammer and knock the hell out of it..I am a fan of the 4 1/2 inch grinder with 5 inch cutting wheel too
I'm thinking of going to get a Air Hammer and chisel set from Lowes or Home Depot , or u think just hand chisel and BFH will do

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you going to buy tools anyway, Craftsman makes a good pickle fork set you should be able to get at sears. Spray it real good with some blaster before you go. The set has some pretty thick ones. Although, with the cuts you have in the pitman arm it may be garbage now anyway.

431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OverkillYJ said:
If you going to buy tools anyway, Craftsman makes a good pickle fork set you should be able to get at sears. Spray it real good with some blaster before you go. The set has some pretty thick ones. Although, with the cuts you have in the pitman arm it may be garbage now anyway.
Yeah I tried pickle fork but didn't want to mess up the spline on the power steering box shaft

431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so after saw and grinding and BFH beating gotta like and old 95 stock pitman arm mawling!!! Gotta love Jeep's three days and I had fun!! Forgot to stop and get my father in-laws snap-on pitman arm puller today so I had at it!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts