Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight "knock" in my pitman arm at full turn...is it worth replacing, or should I just wait for the steering to bite the dust? Can I just replace the pitman arm? Is there another internal component that can cause the knocking?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cab you see play?
I was following the death wobble diagnosis video and when I was watching the steering components I could see it pop and move a bit when the noise was being made. As far as steering when on the road it does have a slight shimmy, but certainly NOT DW.

I suspect I might have ball joint issues too...this thing has 250K on it and I just bought it a few months ago so I have no idea what has been replaced on it thus far.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I was following the death wobble diagnosis video and when I was watching the steering components I could see it pop and move a bit when the noise was being made. As far as steering when on the road it does have a slight shimmy, but certainly NOT DW. I suspect I might have ball joint issues too...this thing has 250K on it and I just bought it a few months ago so I have no idea what has been replaced on it thus far.
Sure its not the drag link joint ?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
250,000 miles??? What year is your Jeep

That's easily the highest mileage I've heard of for a JK.

Mike

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure its not the drag link joint ?
I will check that this weekend...thanks Ken
250,000 miles??? What year is your Jeep

That's easily the highest mileage I've heard of for a JK.

Mike
LOL I got a "great deal" on a used 08 JKU ($14,400) ;-) Pretty much the only way I could afford the 4 door was to grab this high mileage one. I still feel like I got raped tho :-(

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...more details...when I am at full turn the steering wheel will jerk. I don't know if the wheels are doing anything weird too, but it doesn't feel good. It seems a lot more noticeable in 4WD.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
I had some "popping" occasionally from my front end. I did Planman's DW inspection and forgot to detach the steering stabilizer the first time. Found nothing then. Did it again with the steering stabilizer detached and it was very obvious that the drag link joint at the knuckle was the issue.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Lot's of reports of steering box sector shaft failures. There is a brace available from Synergy, JKS and others.

Here is a quote from 4 Wheeler...

"The JK’s extra-long sector shaft imparts more leverage on the sector shaft bearings inside, especially when a dropped pitman arm or big tires is thrown into the mix. The framerail can also flex under heavy steering input and the track bar frame mount, located directly under the steering box, can flex, crack, or completely break with hard use." Complete 4 Wheeler article.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Total n00b question related to steering in 4WD. We have had some recent snow storms and I have been using 4Hi quite frequently when on the snow and ice covered roads, and this steering wheel "popping" issue is a lot more noticeable when turning into parking spaces and such....probably close to max steer.

Reverse in 4WD is also a real "chore" it seems. I can feel all kinds of "feedback"" and "resistance" in the steering wheel when backing out of my driveway, for example.

I did purchase the extended warranty on this thing, so maybe I will take it to the local Jeep dealer and have them give it a look over.

I am currently struggling with getting my rear rotors off while in the middle of a 4 wheel rotor and pad replacement...I have loosened the star-wheel inside the top hat, but that's for another thread ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts