Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used to own a 2007 JKU, but never got into setting up a build thread. Flash forward a few years and I picked up a 2015 Bright White JKU Sport with only 650 miles. It came fairly standard but I did add a few things that I knew I wouldn't want to play with later, like the upgraded Alpine stereo and the max towing package with the 3.73 ratio.

This build is going to be a marathon, slowly coming together over time since most of my money goes towards two little kids who eat a whole lot of food and play with a whole lot of toys. But if nothing else it'll be a fun way for me to keep track of how it progresses.. Hope you guys enjoy!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swapped the stock antenna out for the 13 inch stubby antenna from Extreme Terrain.

In case anyone is curious, I use mostly satellite radio and lost absolutely no reception. Regular FM radio seems to be just as fine as well, but I'm in Charlotte and may have better reception than some other places.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To help fix the issue of my wife and I having our heads burned with the top off, and the kids being blasted by the sun, I ordered the AlienSunShade for the front freedom panel section.

This is a must have! It makes a huge difference keeping the interior cooler while not losing much of the visibility out of the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Antenna was the first mod I did as well. Also went with the 13" from XT....and second u that there is no reception loss on AM/FM stations. Your XM has its own receiver on the sound bar (passenger side) so the antenna change wouldn't have messed it up anyways. How did you get the decals off? I hadn't thought about doing that but it looks better without the big "Sport" decal cluttering both sides. Subscribing to follow your build as mine is gonna be a long haul project as well. Jeep looks awesome... Can't wait to see it grow!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to add a little more stance to the front end, and don't have the funds yet to fully replace the bumper, so I added the Mopar light bar. The lights themselves will have to come later.

For a guy who's never worked on a vehicle before this was a little challenging to get started, but once I got in a groove it wasn't too bad. Makes me realize I need to invest in more tools!

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Antenna was the first mod I did as well. Also went with the 13" from XT....and second u that there is no reception loss on AM/FM stations. Your XM has its own receiver on the sound bar (passenger side) so the antenna change wouldn't have messed it up anyways. How did you get the decals off? I hadn't thought about doing that but it looks better without the big "Sport" decal cluttering both sides. Subscribing to follow your build as mine is gonna be a long haul project as well. Jeep looks awesome... Can't wait to see it grow!
Thanks! Taking the decals off isn't really that bad, used the side of a credit card to scrape them off. Once they're off you've got to use a lot of goo-gone to wipe off the remaining residue.

I washed it off with soap after that just to make sure everything was gone.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted more of a contrast on the hood against the bright white so I ordered the flat black hood decal from extreme terrain.

The install was pretty easy, just had to remove the wiper sprays and the bumps, and placed the decal using a soap water solution. I did completely wash the hood and used a clay bar to wipe off any remaining residue.

Even after squeegeeing all the water out, a few bubbles still remained around the wiper sprays. Those one away once it sat out in the heat for about an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the full hardtop off for the first time - what a pain! I actually pulled something in my back trying to place it on the ground, I think just because of how the weight is unevenly distributed.

I also don't have anywhere to place it while it's off, so I'm going to need something for that too. And the AlienSunShade I have is great for the two people up front but the kids still get beat up by the sun when the whole top comes off. Gonna change that.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replaced the smaller shade with the full AlienSunShade, and aside from it being fully functional, I really like the look across the full top of the jeep.

I haven't played with it much since I put it on, but was unable to align the freedom top screw holes. I'm just reattaching the freedom tops now using the clamps and that's worked fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you looked at garage hoists for the top? Not sure how much clearance you have when your garage door is up but could be an option. I'm saving up some $ for a Harken Hoister from Xtreme Terrain. Less than $150 if you can install it. You sound pretty handy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you looked at garage hoists for the top? Not sure how much clearance you have when your garage door is up but could be an option. I'm saving up some $ for a Harken Hoister from Xtreme Terrain. Less than $150 if you can install it. You sound pretty handy.
I've looked at them but I've got a real fear of installing it incorrectly and having the thing come crashing down.

Someone posted this picture in another thread earlier and it might be more my style, pretty cool table to place the top on. Would just keep it in the garage since we don't put out vehicles in there normally anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
How do you feel about the AlienSunShade? How is the visibility while looking through it? I know odd question.

Also if I may make a suggestion...
Quadratec Hardtop Storage Cart

Works like a charm but did cost a bit. But it was worth it not having to design and build my own. The only gripe I have with it is rotating the top can be a bit cumbersome but an extra set of hands or two really helps with that.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you feel about the AlienSunShade? How is the visibility while looking through it? I know odd question. Also if I may make a suggestion... Quadratec Hardtop Storage Cart Works like a charm but did cost a bit. But it was worth it not having to design and build my own. The only gripe I have with it is rotating the top can be a bit cumbersome but an extra set of hands or two really helps with that.
I actually love the shade.

When I got the first one I was a little worried that other jeepers might look down on me for putting something in place that obstructs the view with the top off, but when you realize how much heat it eliminates and how much more comfortable the kids are in the backseat, it's a game changer for me. I've taken the tops off now way more with the shade than I did before I had it.

You obviously do lose a little visibility, but it's not enough for me to want to take it off. When the sun's out and the sky is clear you can see pretty well. It's most noticeable though when you're sitting at a red light and you no longer have the sun beating on your forehead haha

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the black Rugged Ridge windshield hinges today, very simple to swap out. Until I get the new wheels and tires this look isn't going to feel remotely complete, but I have a vision!

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just ordered the new shows from Discount Tire!

16x8.5 Level 8 Trackers
285/75 R16 Duratracs

Should ship on Monday and will be here a few days later... Can't wait!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.