Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't know what is "normal" on these newer generation Jeeps, I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or not.

To me, the upper sway bar link seems really close to the back side of the wheel. Measured out, its got about 3/4" clearance and I'm trying to figure out if that is "normal" or is just an issue with this 3.5" Rock Krawler lift. (Q-tec Hardrock wheels with 315 BFG KO2 tires)

If anyone has similar shots of their rear sway bar links (either stock or lifted) please post 'em for comparison. Please indicate the lift (or none if that is the case).

Here's a video I shot to see the positioning of the Terraflex brake anchor, but it also shows the position of the sway bar link

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Are those stock wheels? If not the backspacing may be different.

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts

I have over 1.5" clearance at the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
also to OP make sure that when you are completely flexed your bolt does not snag your hard brake line that runs along your frame.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

Are those stock wheels? If not the backspacing may be different.
Quadratec Hardrock wheels and 315 BFG tires. No, not stock. 5.2" backspace on 8.5" wheel (versus about 6.2" on 7.5" for factory)

I have over 1.5" clearance at the wheel.
Are those your rears (They look like my fronts!)? Is that big hard tube with the rubber flex your brake line? Hard to tell whats going on there! :) . Also that second picture looks like less than 1-1/2" clearance to the back of the wheel, but it might just be the angle of the photo.

also to OP make sure that when you are completely flexed your bolt does not snag your hard brake line that runs along your frame.
How does one check "full flex" without being off road and breaking stuff (I don't have a ramp or a forklift at my disposal)? One would think these *#$(*& lift kits would be engineered better. I have to say I'm quite disappointed in what I've seen so far from this Rock Krawler lift. It rides well on the street, but there are a LOT of places where it interferes with components. Chasing all this stuff is gonna drive me crazy...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Here's a video I shot to see the positioning of the Terraflex brake anchor, but it also shows the position of the sway bar link

https://youtu.be/0AyGGczdSm8

Thanks!
The way you have those installed they are going to tear out your brake flex hoses at full droop. In the video, you can see the flex lines being tugged on just during street driving (at 2:04 and 2:14 for example). But, maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way you have those installed they are going to tear out your brake flex hoses at full droop. In the video, you can see the flex lines being tugged on just during street driving (at 2:04 and 2:14 for example). But, maybe I'm missing something.

Yea this is one of my concerns and the reason for testing with the video. I plan to make some adjustments by jacking up the rear and allowing it to droop all the way, then setting it. The rubber head is very flexible though and will allow for about 2-3 inches of deflection pretty easily. Still tweaking it and testing. Really tricky to get the right optimization for full stuff and full droop and still keep them back away from the tire/wheel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Quadratec Hardrock wheels and 315 BFG tires. No, not stock. 5.2" backspace on 8.5" wheel (versus about 6.2" on 7.5" for factory)

Are those your rears (They look like my fronts!)? Is that big hard tube with the rubber flex your brake line? Hard to tell whats going on there! :) . Also that second picture looks like less than 1-1/2" clearance to the back of the wheel, but it might just be the angle of the photo.

yes lol. I put protective plastic conduit on my brake lines. maybe this will give you better idea.

How does one check "full flex" without being off road and breaking stuff (I don't have a ramp or a forklift at my disposal)? One would think these *#$(*& lift kits would be engineered better. I have to say I'm quite disappointed in what I've seen so far from this Rock Krawler lift. It rides well on the street, but there are a LOT of places where it interferes with components. Chasing all this stuff is gonna drive me crazy...
I am not sure what your complaint is? It is easy to check things.

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
also should not need the tf brake line thing on the rear brake line.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also should not need the tf brake line thing on the rear brake line.

Before installing them the lines were rubbing against the backs of the tires.

Part of my challenge is that this Jeep was set up by the PO and im going through and having to clean up a lot of stuff but since I didn’t know what it was like New I don’t have a “baseline” to compare against.

For example, the sway bar links were installed backwards (unbeknownst to me) and my first time off road I shredded two brand new KO2s. Expensive lesson to learn... now I’m paranoid and obsessed to get this thing dialed in before hunting season so I’m not stressing about something giving out on me 50 miles from the nearest paved road and cell service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Here are photos of the left rear of my Chief. It is stock with OEM 17" Recon wheels (in silver on the Chief) and stock LT255/75R17 BFG KMs. You can see the stock link is actually inside of the plane of the tire .

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are photos of the left rear of my Chief. It is stock with OEM 17" Recon wheels (in silver on the Chief) and stock LT255/75R17 BFG KMs. You can see the stock link is actually inside of the plane of the tire .

Awesome thank you. That gives me a great baseline.

I also just lifted the rear up by the frame and let the suspension droop to its full extension and made sure the brake lines are good. Thanks for pointing that out earlier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts