Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a significant amount of searching and can't get a clear answer to my confusion. There is an overwhelming amount of information on tires and wheels out there.

I have 17" stock wheels on my 2018 JKU. When I get new tires, I would like tall/skinny aka Pizzacutters. I just like the look, a nod to old Jeeps. I'm not opposed to keeping my stock wheels, but if I do I think I will plastidip them black.

I'm shooting for about 32-33" tires. I'll be putting on a leveling kit before tires, but as I understand it a narrow 33" tire won't be a problem either way.

I have difficulty picturing what a tire will look like based on the numbers. I know I like the look of BF Goodrich Mud Terrain and their All Terrain, and I saw a set of 255/75/17s on a Jeep the other day and liked the overall look. I do go offroading, but its trails/dirt/mud, not climbing mountains.

My confusion comes when I start looking at all the different tire sizes and try to understand which ones are tall and skinny (to get to the 32-33" height). And I hear that dropping to a smaller wheel diameter, say 15" or 16", will significantly decrease the cost of the tire, with inexpensive new wheels. Then I try playing with the tall/skinny numbers for those diameters and get overwhelmed with all the different options combined with my lack of understanding, and don't really find a cheaper solution.

I'm not very particular on my wheels. I'd just prefer black ones. I'm more particular on the tires. If I'd save a few hundred dropping to smaller wheels and they'd still look good, I'd do it. If it's about the same, I'll keep my stock ones and deal with it.

Thanks for the help. I drive about 20,000-30,000 miles a year, so I have used up more than a couple of tires in my life, but they were all on sedans. I never had to put much thought into finding new ones.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
check out 235-80-17; they work on stock wheels. I put a set on my '17 JKU yesterday using the Discount Tire 20% off.

·
Super Moderator
22,858 Posts
sounds like you are a candidate for 255/80-17 or 34/10.5-17 both between a true 32 and 33" tire.

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Yep, 255/80-17... Great on stock wheels and taller and skinny. I like them with a set of 1.25" wheel spacers too. It gives the look that Jeep should have given us in the first place.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Just remember that wheel spacers, and wheels with less offset to the inside, move the support outboard, increasing leverage on the springs (when only one side deflects) and on ball joints/hub bearings.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yep, 255/80-17... Great on stock wheels and taller and skinny. I like them with a set of 1.25" wheel spacers too. It gives the look that Jeep should have given us in the first place.

Yep, I have 1.5 spidertraxx so keeping those. What tires are in the pic?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,858 Posts
I can tell those are bfg km2 255/80-17 and look like stock kms

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,858 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Shouldn't the 255/75r17 and the 255/80r17 be the same width though? That looks more like a 285/70r17.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
According to the Discount Tire conversion calculator, the 255-80-17 is 1" taller diameter, same width as 255-75-17. In contrast, the 235-80-17 is .79" narrower (mine have tread about .5" narrower than the stock KM tires) and .26" lower diameter.

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
Shouldn't the 255/75r17 and the 255/80r17 be the same width though? That looks more like a 285/70r17.
Yes, but that's on paper... In the real world, tire widths are as random as the engineers that actually designed the tires.

My brand new 315/70-17 Patagonia's look to be narrower at the tread than my 295 Cooper ST Maxx was. I'll try to get a photo tonight to show it. The Patagonia's have a "rounded" profile where the ST Maxx is more "squared".

That's what I see in that photo, the KM2's are more rounded and the KM's more square. That gives the impression of the KM2 being a narrower tire, but the section width will be pretty close to the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts