Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires arrived today and I couldn't be happier with them. I like the 16in steel wheels because they are plain, utilitarian and the back spacing keeps the tires under the wheel wells but.....I wanted to mount 32in tires on them.

I'm a big fan of skinny tires, my YJ was set up this way and I wanted that "Old School" look for this jeep as well.

I ended up getting Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 235/85/R16 (31.7in to be exact) and the look is just what I was after.

Here are a few pics of my 2012 Wrangler Sport BFG.

Spare

Close up of the paint.....cool color!

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
:thumb:

I think it looks nice and not over done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ended up getting Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 235/85/R16 (31.7in to be exact) and the look is just what I was after.
I really like how those tires fit on your Jeep. I have been considering Duratracs in the same exact size. Is your Jeep lifted at all?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Putting a stubby bumper kit on that bad boy would show off those skinny Kate Moss tires to full advantage. :)
Kate's pretty skinny nowadays eh?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
JB71 said:
My tires arrived today and I couldn't be happier with them. I like the 16in steel wheels because they are plain, utilitarian and the back spacing keeps the tires under the wheel wells but.....I wanted to mount 32in tires on them.

I'm a big fan of skinny tires, my YJ was set up this way and I wanted that "Old School" look for this jeep as well.

Here are a few pics of my 2012 Wrangler Sport BFG.

Spare

Close up of the paint.....cool color!
My old TJ had 33x9.50r15 bfg at on it at one time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like how those tires fit on your Jeep. I have been considering Duratracs in the same exact size. Is your Jeep lifted at all?
No lift, 100% stock, no rubbing issues at all.

I like the Duratracs as well but I put on about 20-25K a year driving so I wanted a little better road tire but still have some all terrain ability.

If I didn't drive as much I would have put on the Duratracs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting a stubby bumper kit on that bad boy would show off those skinny Kate Moss tires to full advantage. :)
I was thinking the same thing.....well not the Kate Moss part...you know, the stubby bumper kit part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was really glad to see these pics. I'm looking at picking up a 2012 unlimited sport and keeping the stock 16" wheels for the same reasons you list. Mine would be used for commuting 99% of the time, so i'm interested in mpg, smooth ride and road traction, with some ability for very light offroad. I love the look you got - wheel wells filled but not too much, tires tucked inside.

Now that you've had 'em for a few weeks, is the mileage still close to stock? Any downsides with these?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone know the max size tire that will fit (I mean fit properly) on the pizza cutter wheel with spacers? Like has anyone put a 305/70/16 on them with spacers?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Count me in as a huge fan, as I have them on my 2012 JKU.
Wheels are 17X9 5-5 0B UNIQUE 297-8950.
And the tires are LT255/80R17E1 121Q W BFG MUD-TERRAIN T/A KM2.

And as UHB refers to with his LINK, with the exception of really deep snow or mud when you might want to float some, skinny tires are the way to go. With E sidewalls, mine will air down pretty well.

I use mine as a DD too and keep them inflated at 30 psi. I drive about 35 minutes a day ea. way, half streets and half highway -- and they provide a very nice ride, not too loud at all. 'Course, with the top I have, half doors and off -- and stereo blasting -- I can barely hear the wind howl, haha.

PS I have the stubby bumper, but haven't put it on yet. That, and my TF BB, Quicker Disco's, and Rubi take-off shocks and springs, hah. Getting lazy, but I really need to try and get them on next week.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was really glad to see these pics. I'm looking at picking up a 2012 unlimited sport and keeping the stock 16" wheels for the same reasons you list. Mine would be used for commuting 99% of the time, so i'm interested in mpg, smooth ride and road traction, with some ability for very light offroad. I love the look you got - wheel wells filled but not too much, tires tucked inside.

Now that you've had 'em for a few weeks, is the mileage still close to stock? Any downsides with these?
James614,

They are more than I expected. The ride is fine (just drove 275 miles today for work) and just as smooth as the stock goodyears. Of course that has a lot to do with tire selection not just tire size. Gas mileage is the same, I've seen no difference in these vs the stock 225/75/16 tires.

It's off road that these are better than expected. I always feel in control in lose dirt, mud (nothing too deep to date though) gravel, rocks, woods, they hook up great and I'm having a blast off road. I'm not what you would call a "hard core" wheeler but I've already gone places I know I would never made with my 93 YJ. (both stock)

These coil over springs articulate better than the old leaf springs by far (stock configuration without disconnecting) and the BLD works pretty slick....anyway back to the tires. I'm very happy with them, they are great on the road as they are off. I have yet to use them in snow but in the rain they are rock solid.....very happy indeed!

I firmly believe there is no place my stock jeep with neatly tucked under the wheel well pizza cutters tires can't go that the same jeep with big fat sticking out the side slinging crap everywhere tires can.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I know that 285's are not exactly pizza cutters but I wish I had mine back over the 12.5's I have now

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, pizza!

1 - 20 of 894 Posts