Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I try and look on Discounts tire site, and a few other well known tire sellers and, I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. And that is, an all terrain, 35" or 315 tire, that has a load rating of "C". I know this has been discussed numerous times but, using the search block never reveals anything for me, even when it's a simple search. Soooo, if you experienced tire boys can throw a name and or model of an A/T tire in that size, I'd surely appreciate it. My present tires are "D's" and are Hancook Dynapro 315's from Discount. They are pushing about 20K miles and are about 3/4 worn out. And, even when I air down to my normal trail pressure of 10 psi, they have always seemed to ride fairly rough for that low of pressure. So, this is why I'm looking for some C rated 35's or 315's. I appreciate any help here.
Scott

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apologies on that. I should have listed it. My wheels are 17". They're not factory but, still 17".
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
BFG KO2's come in 315/70/17 C rated, I'm running those right now in my truck. They have an S speed rating and 3PMSF designation, also have a 3 ply sidewall in this size.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nitto makes a Trail Grappler in a 35x11.50r17 load range C (the 12.50s are D range). I ran these for a while and was really happy with them. I only got rid of them to move up to 37s.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also I ran them with the Mopar Hightops, which you are running too from the looks of it. I really liked the slightly narrower look. I thought it kinda kept the OEM proportions intact.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
428 Posts
BFG KO2's come in 315/70/17 C rated, I'm running those right now in my truck. They have an S speed rating and 3PMSF designation, also have a 3 ply sidewall in this size.
Yep, just put these on my girl. Love them!

Reactions: rsmwrangler

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
428 Posts
Here is her on bfg 315/70r17 ko2 load c
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gents,
I try and look on Discounts tire site, and a few other well known tire sellers and, I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. And that is, an all terrain, 35" or 315 tire, that has a load rating of "C". I know this has been discussed numerous times but, using the search block never reveals anything for me, even when it's a simple search. Soooo, if you experienced tire boys can throw a name and or model of an A/T tire in that size, I'd surely appreciate it. My present tires are "D's" and are Hancook Dynapro 315's from Discount. They are pushing about 20K miles and are about 3/4 worn out. And, even when I air down to my normal trail pressure of 10 psi, they have always seemed to ride fairly rough for that low of pressure. So, this is why I'm looking for some C rated 35's or 315's. I appreciate any help here.
Scott
I am really curious about a couple of things. How are you only getting 25,000 miles on those tires. What PSI are you running them on the street ? I have almost 40,000 on my 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ-P3's , D rated and I am just past 1/2 way wear. I also do a 5 tire rotation every 6,000 with a oil change. Also airing down to 10 PSI on a non beadlock wheel seams really low. I usually don't go below 14. Add to that going down to a c rated tire seems like a recipe for sidewall tear.

·
Super Moderator
16,560 Posts
There are a number of LR-C tires now... The most popular for sure is the BFG KO2 in 315, they actually have 2 of them, they are different speed ratings.

But Toyo has the Open Country R/T and also the M/T. The R/T is a good tire, not a huge fan of the M/T's. Toyo also has the 35x11.5x17 ATIII in a C rated tire, this is an excellent choice.

There is also the new Goodyear Territory MT which isn't really a mud terrain, the MT stands for Maximum Traction in their designation. Tire Rack has them in stock and they are less expensive than the KO2's.

The Nitto Trail Grappler is a LR-C in the 35x11.5x17 size. An absolute offroad beast of a tire...

For tire wear, I am surprised at your wear. I have almost 30k on my Patagonia LR-D's and still at 12/32's... Not even half worn yet.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
If the trails you ride are in the rocks, you may want the Ds for greater durability.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,170 Posts
I'm guessing its simply the Hancook tire issue in relation to wear. Not many guys on here with Hankooks. KO2's can last 50, 60, 70k miles. Got rid of mine at 53 or 54k miles. Excellent all around tire.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Gang,
I most certainly appreciate all the responses and, your experiences with your tires. My Hancook's are not GONE, they're simply worn to the point that the wear bars are oh, maybe 1-2, 32nd's away from being driven on. The tires themselves do have quite a bit of mileage left on them. There are 4+ years on these Hancooks and, I have a set of 265's on my truck that are 7 years old and have oh, maybe around 25-28K miles on them too. They're also more than likely gonna be replaced in the not-to-distant future.

One of the reasons I'm gonna change the ones on the Jeep is because, when they were new, they road considerably softer and, SERIOUSLY quieter than they do now. Guys that know my Jeep and know A/T tires, pretty much always comment on how loud they are for A/T's. There is no cupping, no odd wear patterns, nothing. They're simply louder than any other set of A/T's I've ever had. And, as stated, they ride hard. I run right at 30 psi street pressure. And, as stated, I run 10 psi trail pressure. I rotated them one time since they were new. After that, it's not worth it, at least to me.

I have owned, modified, towed, used, and altered 9 different Jeep Wranglers in over 35 years of Jeeping. We've done the Easter Jeep Safari 14 years in a row and, each and every single run while there, was done at 10 psi trail pressure. During those trips, we had around a dozen or so Jeeps in our group. Every single one of them ran 10 psi in their tires and not one of us, EVER has had any tires break a bead, loose air, damage a sidewall, or anything due to running that pressure for off highway. And, none of us even thought about using bead locks, simply because, not only were they seriously expensive back then but also, they were NOT LEGAL at that time. Soooo, we did what we did and as state, no issues what so ever with 10 psi. And, I also mentioned that I "tow" all of my Jeeps. I suspect that, the present JKUR that I have now, has oh, maybe around 20,000 miles of towing on those tires as well as the logged 25K or more.

So, while towing doesn't put the strain on tires as much as driving does, the miles are still put on them. So, in close to reality, those tires have real close to 41K miles on them, towing and driving. And, when we're not towing the Jeep, we're towing our truck, usually with either a Honda GL 1800 Goldwing or, a BMW K1600 GTL-Exclusive in the back. And that truck ahs around maybe 25K-30K miles of towing on its 265 Hancooks. Again, I most certainly appreciate all the suggestions and I will for sure, compile a list and go to work on trying to pick one.
Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts