Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've about got the wife talked into taking a Jeep vacation next year. I'd love to take mine wheeling but I live about 2000 miles from UT or CO. We may wind up doing some of the closer Jeep Jamborees next year, but don't know a whole lot about serious wheeling.

If we wanted to fly somewhere, rent a Jeep and do some off-roading and sight seeing, where would be our best bet? Any tips or suggestions for planning a trip like this would be awesome. I've got plenty of airline points to get there and probably some Hertz points to get the Jeep so our expenses would be minimal I think.

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
If we wanted to fly somewhere, rent a Jeep and do some off-roading and sight seeing, where would be our best bet?
You might want to read the fine print of any rental agreement. Many, if not all, of them say that you cannot take their rental vehicle off-road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was in Kauai a few weeks ago and it was one giant Jeep gathering. It seemed like a quarter of all the vehicles were rented JKs. I highly doubt most of them used them to go off road, but we did find a few hidden gems that were plenty of fun (but not challenging in any way).

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You might want to read the fine print of any rental agreement. Many, if not all, of them say that you cannot take their rental vehicle off-road.
The rentals in Moab are specifically for taking off road. The only restrictions are for the extreme trails or the difficult sections of some trails (like Hell's Gate and Tipover Challenge on Hell's Revenge).

The rentals in Ouray, CO specify only a few trails that you can't do (like Black Bear).

Other than that, you can take those rentals all over the trails.

If you're going to fly to a destination and rent a Jeep, I would highly recommend either of those two areas. Fantastic trails, beautiful views, lots of fun. I've been to both several times and plan on going back several more.

Thing is, all of the rental places are local so there's no corporate places to rent from. Your points would do you no good for the Jeep rental.

I would recommend planning for next summer now. Get your hotel and Jeep reserved now. Google Jeep rentals for the area you want to go and there's half a dozen or more options that pop up.

A buddy of mine rented from Twisted Jeep Rentals in Moab a year and a half ago and got a built Rubicon. He had a blast.

I rented from Colorado West Jeep Rentals in Ouray back in 2012. They have base model Sports but you can take those on 99% of the trails in the Ouray area with no problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have my girlfriend on board for a road trip from FL to CO and UT. It will be in mid to late July of 2016. Any recommendations for decent but not pricey hotels in Denver? We are going to catch the Rockies vs. Rays games and then go further west.

In a 2-dr and would love to meet up with some folks for a trail or two. Hoping to do Black Bear in my BBE. Any mods other than M/T tires I'll need to complete it? Thanks and I didn't mean to hijack your thread just fit my plans to ask

·
Registered
585 Posts
So I think I've about got the wife talked into taking a Jeep vacation next year. I'd love to take mine wheeling but I live about 2000 miles from UT or CO. We may wind up doing some of the closer Jeep Jamborees next year, but don't know a whole lot about serious wheeling.

If we wanted to fly somewhere, rent a Jeep and do some off-roading and sight seeing, where would be our best bet? Any tips or suggestions for planning a trip like this would be awesome. I've got plenty of airline points to get there and probably some Hertz points to get the Jeep so our expenses would be minimal I think.
I have done this in the past with other cars - if I am planning for a long enough stay - I just ship my car back and forth. usually around $750-$1,000 each way... so take a look at services such as https://www.uship.com/cost-to-ship/vehicles/cars-and-light-trucks/jeep/ and see if that is an option for you. I am still researching shipping companies as we are planning a 3 months stay in CO and UT and cannot afford renting for 3 mo plus no jeep would ride as awesome as ours :happyyes:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Where do you live?
You could go to Overland Expo East and then do things on/around the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots to explore, wheel, enjoy.
Overland Expo EAST — Overland Expo

It will be at a new location next year though. Keep tuned.
I was a presenter last year and might do it again next year. The one in AZ is really fun too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts