Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to Colorado at the beginning of August (intend to be arriving on the 30th and staying through the 3rd). Never been, but planning to do some jeeping.

Plan is pretty loose at this point, we were thinking of spending the first night in Colorado Springs, then heading towards the Ouray area.

Any suggestions for the 'must run' trails? We don't want to do anything too hardcore, as we're driving the jeep out and back, but we'd like some fun trails with great views, and to see some sights that can't be accessed by car. Would love to hit some ghost towns!

Is there a guide someplace to help figure out what we might need as far as trail passes?

Lastly, any great recommendations for a campground or place with cabins that is fairly central? We're planning to hotel the night we get in and the last night on the way out, but will probably camp the 31st-3rd and would like to stay in one place those nights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Post up when you get close to coming and I'm sure that there will be at least a few of us that will be wanting to head out with you. August is prime wheeling time out here so you have picked a good time to come.
When you do come please remember that we always want to stay on the trail.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Molas lake campground is near Silverton and is very nice for tent camping(no cabins). As far as trails go, try to do the badge of honor trails there.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Ouray has a nice KOA campground and they do have cabins.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Molas lake campground is near Silverton and is very nice for tent camping(no cabins). As far as trails go, try to do the badge of honor trails there.
I notice some of the descriptions on the Badge of Honor trails say that I should have 33" tires, or 'good offroad tires'.

I've got a set of (stock) SR-As, and a set of (stock) KMs for my JK; I was planning on running the SR-As because of the ~2k miles of highway driving I'll be doing on the way to Colorado and back, but I'm wondering if I might regret that when I get out there?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I notice some of the descriptions on the Badge of Honor trails say that I should have 33" tires, or 'good offroad tires'.

I've got a set of (stock) SR-As, and a set of (stock) KMs for my JK; I was planning on running the SR-As because of the ~2k miles of highway driving I'll be doing on the way to Colorado and back, but I'm wondering if I might regret that when I get out there?
Those tires will be fine for the Ouray area. We ran a bunch of the trails down there in a stock Grand Cherokee a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As suggested, I'd like to let the locals know I'm on my way! Colorado springs tomorrow and Sunday, then Ouray for a few days.

If anyone wants to head out and show me the trails, let me know!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ophr Pass is beautiful and not too challenging but the drop offs will get your attention. It is a great pass to get started with and decided if you want to try some of the more challenging passes. Be sure to ride the free 5 mile gondola in Telluride and walk around the town. Ouray and Silverton are also great little towns. Animas Forks is a nice ghost town out of Silverton. If you have the time take the Alpine Loop over to Lake City and back. I hate to warn you but once you start 4-wheeling around the area you will come back many times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts