Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, as mentioned elsewhere, I'm the mighty proud papa of a 2012 JKU Sahara. YAY!
Also as mentioned elsewhere, Im already planning to get rid of the shiny top and fenders and find the matte black equivelant. Yay!

I do have some additional questions for you more experienced Wrangler-riders:

1) a week ago I ordered a set of Phillips Xtreme +100 H-4 bulbs off ebay to put in my TJ (which I have now traded). Will they work in the JK or do I need to cancel the order before it ships?

2) I'm not a big fan of the Stock Bridgestone Dualer (city tires). What is the most efficient way of trading brand new factory rubber for something more to my liking?

3) I notice that when I fold the rear seat forward, there is a gap between where the seat back and floor seperate. Im concernd that my 120 Akita could figure out a way to hurt himself by slipping into the gap (he gets excited about going on rides). Does anyone know of a durable cover that is supposed to go over that gap or should I just improvise something simple?

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also...

4) Does anyone know of a FRONT receiver hitch for a JKU?
The ones I've seen on ebay hang under the front bumper and thus reduce approach angle. I'd prefer one that is above bumper level. Doesnt have to be tonka-tough, I just use it for misc positioning of trailers etc. Nothing elaborate.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
1) a week ago I ordered a set of Phillips Xtreme +100 H-4 bulbs off ebay to put in my TJ (which I have now traded). Will they work in the JK or do I need to cancel the order before it ships?
I'm not a lighting guy, but boy would I be surprised if this worked. Sounds like the poster above me has the definitive answer.

2) I'm not a big fan of the Stock Bridgestone Dualer (city tires). What is the most efficient way of trading brand new factory rubber for something more to my liking?
Yeah, bad juju. Most efficient is to buy new tires/wheels, and then sell the complete stock set on Craigslist or eBay. The stock wheels--especially the Sahara wheels--are not good for aftermarket tires, so cost-wise it's generally best to go with an entirely new set up. Here's something to get you started.

3) I notice that when I fold the rear seat forward, there is a gap between where the seat back and floor seperate. Im concernd that my 120 Akita could figure out a way to hurt himself by slipping into the gap (he gets excited about going on rides). Does anyone know of a durable cover that is supposed to go over that gap or should I just improvise something simple?
Got nothin' on this.

4) Does anyone know of a FRONT receiver hitch for a JKU?
The ones I've seen on ebay hang under the front bumper and thus reduce approach angle. I'd prefer one that is above bumper level. Doesnt have to be tonka-tough, I just use it for misc positioning of trailers etc. Nothing elaborate.
Closest I've seen would be this new bumper. As an aside, that would also allow for you to use a hitch mounted winch if you're a sometimes wheeler who doesn't want to lug around a front mounted winch everywhere. That's probably the route I'll go eventually.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MTH,
I really like your rig...
I like your wheels,
I like your tires,
I like your shorty-bumper mod.
I wanna be just like yours when I grow up (and my wallet recovers from the purchase of the new Jeep).
Is yours lifted? Looks great as-is.
What weel width and back space did ya have to go with for your 33x12.5 tires?
Do they have the TPM sensors or can I transfer those from my stock wheels?
I had thought about simply painting or powder coating my stock wheels, but I'm getting the impression that would be a waste of time.
Looks like I'll need to run the stock city tires until I wear em out then upgrade in a couple of years. Bummer.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I like your shorty-bumper mod.
I get asked about the bumper a lot. Here's the write-up on the stubby conversion. You can find the details on the whole set up here. There are some follow up posts there as well.

Is yours lifted? Looks great as-is.
A little. Here's a write-up on my lift. My guess is that it's settled down to about a 1.5" lift. I'm going to a 2.5" TeraFlex lift as soon as I can coordinate the install.

What weel width and back space did ya have to go with for your 33x12.5 tires?
The wheels are 15x8, and the backspacing is 4". I believe the links to the exact wheels and tires can be found in the linked thread.

Do they have the TPM sensors or can I transfer those from my stock wheels?
They can be transferred.

I had thought about simply painting or powder coating my stock wheels, but I'm getting the impression that would be a waste of time.
Not really. Folks bedline their stock wheels all the time. I've heard good things about plasti-dip as well. It's low cost and can be a good option if you've got to wear out the stockers for awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts