Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My '18 JK Recon 6spd is pictured below. What you do not see are lights on the front, Warn VR8-S, and Quadratec aluminum engine / transfer case skid plates. All other mods are inside. Attached is our Jeep Trail Edition camper we picked up in Feb of this year (one owner - he did the mods you see).

My Lisa is trading in her '17 JK Winter Edition on a JL Sport S she ordered last week. She will have the 2.0L, 8spd, limited slip rear diff, tow package, soft top, and some other stuff that does not impact trail rating aside from the factory all-terrain tires.

We are leaving WI and heading out to CO in late Sept for two weeks. I do not care about COVID. We have the FunTreks trail guides, both the regular CO and Northern CO editions (4th editions). I was in CO in 2016 when I had my '15 KL Trailhawk and did not do too much trail riding because of no winch...we did do some Moab!

Now that you have all of that, here is my question. Should the blue / moderate trails be high on my list, or should I stick to more green? I have more hours on trails than many, and Lisa is a good trail driver and guide, but with only one winch and me pulling our camper, it changes things a bit. I have opted to not plan Imogene Pass and Pearl Pass. Looking to do Engineer Pass and Adams Lake.

Any suggestions would be terrific. Thank you in advance.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
You should be fine I'd think. As long as it doesn't rain/snow, pulling the trailer on Engineer should be fine. Traffic will be lighter then it is now on the trails.

Look into trailsoffroad.com. Lots of free info, but if you join for $25 for the year, there are videos, pics, step by step way-points with pics you can see and judge whether something might workout for you or not.

I'm coming up there at the end of Sept/Oct and have narrowed down where we want to go to Rim Rocker from Montrose to Moab, Stay and camp throughout Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Lake City/Creede or going north to Webster Pass and Estes Park areas. My 2.5" AEV Winter Edition, two mostly stock Tacomas and a mild Forerunner.

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
You should be fine I'd think. As long as it doesn't rain/snow, pulling the trailer on Engineer should be fine. Traffic will be lighter then it is now on the trails.

Look into trailsoffroad.com. Lots of free info, but if you join for $25 for the year, there are videos, pics, step by step way-points with pics you can see and judge whether something might workout for you or not. I download each .gpx file from the website and upload it into my GAIA map and will use a GPS enabled tablet for trail maps. Great system with an 8" screen for good visibility.

I'm coming up there at the end of Sept/Oct and have narrowed down where we want to go to Rim Rocker from Montrose to Moab, Stay and camp throughout Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Lake City/Creede or going north to Webster Pass and Estes Park areas. My 2.5" AEV Winter Edition, two mostly stock Tacomas and a mild Forerunner.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Look into trailsoffroad.com. Lots of free info, but if you join for $25 for the year, there are videos, pics, step by step way-points with pics you can see and judge whether something might workout for you or not.

I have never heard of that Site. I will for sure check it out! Thank you very much for the tips. Your trip sounds fun. I am thinking I might stay in the northern part of CO for a few days before heading south. Explore some less common areas and forest roads as I am not all about rocks all the time. Just being in the mountains cleans my soul!

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
Looks like we are going to come up from Texas to Creede, stay a night, camp out along Stony Creek, head into Lake City, Alpine loop into Silverton, stay a night and then 160 miles and camp on the Rim Rocker to Moab, stay a night and head home.

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
@Mudman1 , I think you would be fine on Green or Blue trails. The books ratings are on the conservative side. And if you park the trailer I think you could do close to half the Red trails in the Funtreks books.
The main concern I would have is pulling the trailer on narrow shelf roads, especially if you need to pass someone going the other way. But I would think you would be parking the trailer and wheeling from there. In that case, you should clearly be fine on Greens, Blues, and many of the Red trails.

But I would keep an eye on the fire situation. It is directly affecting I-70. Google Grizzly Creek fire or Pine Gulch fire.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I'm from Wisconsin and heading out to Colorado, Ouray area, in mid September. I'm using the funtrek books as well to look for trails. Like others have said your Jeep should be fine on many trails in the book and all if not most of the Green/blue trails, at least without the trailer. Steep grades, scree rock fields and tight shelf roads might cause some issues with a trailer but the books generally point these areas out so you could try to avoid them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts