Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just signed up for Hells Revenge Escalator to hell on Sunday the 25th , but that's all I've signed up for. Going to wing it on the rest, i have a plan of one's to run that are not being run each day so I'll try to do it like that. I'm open to meet with anyone and run some other trails any day. So far I'm planning strike ravine or steel bender Saturday, Hells revenge as mentioned sunday, behind the rocks or flat iron Mesa Monday, top of the world tuesday, wed will be a big loop starting poison spider to golden spike to gold bar rim, and Thursday Friday are kinda up in the air.
Def want to run Kane Creek, metalasher, and moab rim so one of them may be Thursday and another friday

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I def want to do some night wheeling to if anyone is down. Nothing too hard, and not too long but fun and some challenges in the dark would be cool

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think their web site was overwhelmed as it crashed soon after registration opened

Took me 25 mins to register. The three of us got in though. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah it took me a good 30+. Page kept crashing trying to open the schedule, then finally got it and then crashed a few more times trying to add to my cart and again at checkout! But got myself and my brother registered for Sunday on Hells Revenge.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sunday’s open. Monday tip toe behind the rocks w/EJS, then Weds open and Thursday is metal masher w/EJS. Tuesday and Friday are non jeep days for me and the wife. Golf or hiking.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wednesday you’ve got the trifecta down. If the guys I’m with want to Do that one I’m in. Done it 4 times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am free from Wednesday on as well. Kinda want to run the Pickle trail one day while I am there. It’s looks like fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wednesday you’ve got the trifecta down. If the guys I’m with want to Do that one I’m in. Done it 4 times.

Yea thatd be cool. I've never been, kinda just winging it off a book I bought about moab trails. Didn't realize you could do all of them in a row and thought it sounded like a badass type of day to do 3 in a row. Definitely wanting someone who's been before as I'm kinda nervous of getting lost the more I look at the maps of the trails lol. Not sure how easy it'll be to get off the main trail on a side road and end up lost.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Not sure how easy it'll be to get off the main trail on a side road and end up lost.
On ANY trail in the Moab area, make sure you have good maps and a GPS or phone/tablet app that works without cell service...and more importantly, know how to use them! After 26 years with Grand County Search and Rescue, I can say without hesitation that it's apparently not hard to get lost on every single trail in this area.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea thatd be cool. I've never been, kinda just winging it off a book I bought about moab trails. Didn't realize you could do all of them in a row and thought it sounded like a badass type of day to do 3 in a row. Definitely wanting someone who's been before as I'm kinda nervous of getting lost the more I look at the maps of the trails lol. Not sure how easy it'll be to get off the main trail on a side road and end up lost.
Our group is good with doing the trifecta on Weds.. (poison spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar rim) There are three jeeps in my group and it looks like two in yours. 5 jeeps. we could include a few more. It took me and a friend -2 jeeps- last spring almost 7 hours to do it with minimal spotting..we did get stuck behind a few groups. .the other times it took 8+hrs,
I would say plan 8-10hrs with experienced drivers and surely there will be other groups so maybe longer.
we have plenty of time to plan....

I would agree with Moabite about having a GPS route/map so you don't get lost...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Our group is good with doing the trifecta on Weds.. (poison spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar rim) There are three jeeps in my group and it looks like two in yours. 5 jeeps. we could include a few more. It took me and a friend -2 jeeps- last spring almost 7 hours to do it with minimal spotting..we did get stuck behind a few groups. .the other times it took 8+hrs,
I would say plan 8-10hrs with experienced drivers and surely there will be other groups so maybe longer.
we have plenty of time to plan....

I would agree with Moabite about having a GPS route/map so you don't get lost...
Awesome sounds good, and I was already starting to look into a GPS, definitely glad I asked. We'll get something before then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am in for Wednesday as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Awesome sounds like a plan!
We all should pm each other Contact info when we get closer to March.
Where's everyone coming from? As mentioned I'm hauling out from NC

·
Registered
682 Posts
Awesome sounds like a plan!

We all should pm each other Contact info when we get closer to March.

Where's everyone coming from? As mentioned I'm hauling out from NC

Coming from Alb NM.
What’s worked for us is creating a private group on Facebook if that’s of any interest.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This sounds really cool. It’s on my list for 2019. It’s a little over 2000 miles to get there but I’m in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm going to recommend a Jeep requirement for this run. Based on doing this 4 times, once with a 2DR JK with a 2.5" lift and 34" tires, then the other there times in my current jeep, JKU 3" lift and 34" then 35" tires here is what I recommend at a minimum.
EJS safari has a requirement limit on trails and although I don't know what these 3 trails are I can guess my limit recommendation is lower then theirs.
Minimum limit.
TJ-JK's 2.5" lift with 33's
JKU 2.5" lift with 33's (and not worried about scraping a lot)
Skid plates are a must and they will get used. trust me.
especially for the 2012-2017+ JKU auto's a engine/oil pan skid plate. this will protect a transmission line that hangs low and can be easily snagged on rocks, branches, etc. I think every 2102+ auto should have this skid plate even if you just go on forest service roads... I've seen a branch damage this transmission line.

Stock or close to stock Jeeps are going to be very hard to get though this trail and with a large group it will take way to much time. This trail has constant ledges, and rock obstacles and will test your skills and vehicle constantly from start to finish.

The guide to Moab UT back roads book by Charles Wells is a good one for descriptions.
it rates all three of these trails as Difficult - Poison spider and Gold Bar rim, Many difficult ledges, awkward ledges, tippy spots, and for Golden spike it calls out one of the toughest most time consuming trails in the area, climb and descend high rock ledges, daunting slick rock maneuvers etc.

with that said we currently have 7 jeeps signed up. if your jeep doesn't meet this minimum requirement this trail isn't for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think they recommend 35” tires and lockers at both ends on Red Rock site.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am staying in town at the Moab Valley Inn who said they have a lot of trailer parking out back. Hope its true as I am certainly not driving my Jeep 17 hours on 42" tires. lol
Was going to book a few trails with EJS as was heading down solo but if a few of us are meeting up would go roaming with y'all.
Any other ideas? They are full. We'll have the dually and a trailer for the Jeep -- easy to unhook and park side-by-side, but that's 3 parking spots, 2 quite long and a short.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am in the same situation. Will need 3 parking spots for the truck / trailer / Jeep.
Hope there are enough

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Any other ideas? They are full. We'll have the dually and a trailer for the Jeep -- easy to unhook and park side-by-side, but that's 3 parking spots, 2 quite long and a short.

I'm staying in Funn Stays Rv park which I found on airbnb. They have 7 brand new 35+ft rvs fully setup, water power and wifi, and its in 4 acres woth plenty of parking. About 10 miles south of moab. They may have one left, check airbnb or vrbo

21 - 40 of 92 Posts