Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Wrangler that I bought "new to me" two years ago. The previous owner got the chrome package and the stock 17" polished aluminum rims.

I got the front windows tinted, bought the Jeep brand slush mats and got a tow hitch installed. The only DIY stuff I've done was changing out the antenna, adding poly-fil to my sound bar and installing front Grabars (so nothing really).

I love black rims, but since I have to invest in new tires very soon, I couldn't justify the purchase of new rims also. So, after much time in the forums and on Pinterest, I took the plasti-dip plunge...and I LOVE the results. I chose to keep the center cap and lug nuts chrome because think it adds just a little depth and contrast.

Overall, the process is really simple. I cleaned the rim well, let it dry, taped around the rim, valve stem and the lug nut openings (so I didn't get the plasti-dip on the threads). I then applied four coats, allowing each to dry fully before applying the next. The biggest burden I encountered was choosing to do it during a St. Louis winter with no heated garage, no jack stands and only the factory supplied jack. I had to remove each tire and take it inside to warm up for an hour so before I could even start. Then, I had to completely finish one tire and re-install it before I could remove and start the next. So, it was a 3 day project rather than just an afternoon.

I can't wait for the weather to break so I can do the rest of my chrome!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha! Thank you all! I have to immediately unsubscribe from these forums. Even my imaginary bank account is empty looking at all the cool mods!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts